The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

Purchase New Laptop

(11 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by ErnieV
  • Latest reply from Howto2012
  • Topic Viewed 1453 times

ErnieV

I am in the process of searching for a new laptop computer. I have narrow my search down to a computer I found online as follows: Toshiba Satellite P770-BT4G22 Laptop. This is a 17" screen computer with an i7 intel core, 8gb of RAM, 500 gb (7200 rpm) hard drive plus it has other nice accessories, i.e. backlid keyboard, etc. This computer is being sold by ToshibaDirect.Com for a price of $1044.00 after discounts and not including tax.
I would like to know if anybody has had any bad or good expierences with Toshiba laptops particularly this model. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Also if anyone knows of any other store where I could buy this computer for less or of any online discounts please let me know. I am probably like alot of other people where cost is of prime importance. Thank you.

Ernie........

Posted 2 years ago

MrBb11000
MrBb11000

I used to have a Toshiba Laptop and was very nice... at first... then when I started to use it a lot it became very irritating (slow) and I still had more than half of my RAM free, but maybe something was up with the CPU.

Posted 2 years ago

owen123
owen123

i haven't personally used toshiba, but i know people who do, and they say they a very good

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

I have a 3 month old 15" Satellite P755. That is an i5 with 6GB of RAM and also a backlit keyboard. It has 1 USB3 port and 3USB2 ports.

The system works fine. The backlit keyboard is not worth a lot. The lighting is very faint. My backlit Logitech that I use on the desktop is a LOT better. What is nice though is that you can make the settings in the BIOS (on/off, on all the time, on for 10 sec).

The quality of manufacturing is so, so. As usual, I take the HDD out and replace it with a SSD. The hardware in the bay is very flimsy. I have seen better - a LOT better e.g. on a Sony (but Sonys have other problems).

The system comes with a LOT of junkware. That you will have to weed out. But if you keep a large HDD, that is not as much of a problem than on a small SSD.

I bought mine at Office Depot for $599. It may be worth checking the various shops for best price. If I bought a 17" laptop, I would want 2 disk bays. One for the SSD and one for the HDD. Last I looked, HP had such models.

Make sure it has at least a USB3 port - an eSata port is even better. Mine does not have a PCI-Express slot. That is too bad because you could easily add an eSata port if that slot existed.

Here is a site that may be worth checking from time to time. They always have good deals: http://www.deals2buy.com/categories/laptop/deals This one looks like yours, but cheaper: http://www.toshibadirect.com/t.....6ifGuzWZXg

Posted 2 years ago

jessy9937
jessy9937

pretty decent laptop,here is a link that i found http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/.....32599.aspx

although i would say that you could save much on i5

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.toshibadirect.com/t.....onJunction check this link for pricing. From Toshiba site.

Posted 2 years ago

6card
6card

My new Laptop is a Toshiba 655, purchased as a ReFurb direct from Toshiba. Very nice machine IMO (having gone through not to many). I did have a keyboard problem that was fixed by a replacement (I replaced) and now works well. Very happy with, so far, but it is used only for limited travel.

I will always look for refurb gadgets of all kinds.

six

Posted 2 years ago

owen123
owen123

There is a Nice New Dell - Dell XPS13

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Owen, I think those Ultrabooks are too expensive for what they are. It is a new marketing gimmick and they milk the cow as long as possible.

Posted 2 years ago

owen123
owen123

Hmm, well if it was me, for that price, i would pay £50 more and get a MacBook Pro

Posted 2 years ago

Howto2012

my friend had a Toshiba Satellite but not this model. It worked well.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!