SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Protecting Sensitive File -- Office XP Good Enough Still?

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ReadandShare
  • Latest reply from 0xMalloc
  • Topic Viewed 615 times

ReadandShare

I should preface that there's probably no single answer to this, but I would just like to get people's feel about this...

I use Win 7 and a freebie office suite that can save and open files using the old Office XP's "RC4 Strong Cryptography Provider" 128-bit encryption option. I have a spreadsheet which I use as my "password vault" -- protected by a 15-character strong password. This file resides in my C drive, my local external drive, and also in "the cloud".

I realize there are now better encryption options -- like AES 256-bit -- but my question is this: if someone manages to hack into my cloud account -- or if someone really smart hacks into the cloud provider's servers directly -- and they get hold of my account (or millions of accounts including mine) -- is the above protection "robust enough"? My feel is that I need not have the strongest protection -- but just "tough enough" -- with the assumption that hackers would crack open the simple passwords ("12345") and leave the tougher ones alone.

Is the Office XP's encryption still considered sufficiently secure? Or are they now considered too easily crackable?

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

What? No encryption geeks to tell me whether Office XP's encryption + strong password are still good to use? Pretty please??

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

I have no clue on how that encryption works. My recommendation would be to compress (or just store) your files using 7-Zip, and using the AES-256 encryption you mention. This way you can encrypt any kind of file you need. If you need any indications on using this just ask.

http://www.7-zip.org/

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Hi Ruja:

Thanks. And true that 7-zip will provide a newer and reputedly more secure encryption method. But for me, I am still curious about Office XP's encryption. If it is still considered 'strong and good enough' -- then I'd like to continue relying on it. Why? I travel a lot -- and a password protected Excel file can be opened by my Android tablet (using Kingsoft Office) and by most all computers in the internet cafes of the world -- without needing any additional apps.

Posted 1 year ago

0xMalloc
0xMalloc

Office passwords are very crackable. I have software that does just this. Ive used bcrypt. I'd venture to say its more secure than what office has to offer.

http://bcrypt.sourceforge.net/

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!