The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Proof - SSD transfer rates are irrelevant for OS performance

(27 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by whs
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 876 times

presence1960

Thank you whs. I have been a manager in customer service for over 15 years. I practice good customer service in my home business of computers as well. Nothing beats a referral from someone you treated right, and no amount of advertising will overcome a bad review from a customer. Honesty is always the best policy.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Computer's are NOT moving as Moore's Law has postulated in the recent past. 'Speed' has outgrown need for most. A 5 year old computer is now useable for almost anything. This was NOT the case in 2008, one made in 2003 wasn't equipped to handle 2008 OS's and tasks, as OS load grew (more RAM and CPU power needed) as did program (features and size). Today's systems are much faster, and the adherence to Moore's Law is not holding true. Well, it might be if you consider die size and transistors in the MFG. process, but NOT is the realization of faster systems.

WHS, you have an XPS 8300, I have an XPS 435T (3 1/2 years old), the predecessor to the 9000, 8300, and 8500 my wife has (6 months old). My wife's machine was the basic, no upgrades. Mine was upgraded to a better video card. Still, today, both on W8 they perform about the same. Both have 8GB's of RAM and SSD's. Actually my OLD ATI HD4870 video card out performs here HD7550 (Dell OEM) video card, and my machine therefore had a higher Windows Experience. Our older computer, and old Dell 8100 and here Sony at one time were only a year apart, a 1.6Ghz Intel Duo-Core2 for here and my P4 Hyperthreaded, and mine was decidedly slower. Today, not the case, and for anything we throw at these computers, they can easily handle it. Even MS FS X with full options on, still smooth, although my video card looks 'cleaner'.

There are not many killer apps for the home user today that tax many machines. For the average person, anything the big box stores sell will suit them well.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

I guess newegg and other vendors will go out business soon as us old Machine Builders just fade away. <VBG>

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Don't worry Rick. There will be enough work for you. And Newegg will stay. They sell a lot of other stuff than mobos an Dimms.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Intel Core i5, i7 Haswell Processors to be Released in June

http://www.tomshardware.com/ne.....20590.html

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

I agree Irv. I have gotten quite a few customers in the last year from the store front computer shops in my area. The reason being that for a lot of those people the shops were trying to make a killing selling hardware & builds the customers really didn't need. Word of mouth is the best advertising. When they were told about me I got their business after a consultation with them. Even for repairs some shops take advantage. A former co-worker had a friend whose lappie's monitor would go blank after POST. He took it to a shop and they told him his video card was bad and they recommended replacing the card & upgrading to a newer version of windows. The machine originally came with Vista but he didn't like it and installed XP on it. My friend told him about me. I picked up the lappie and after running an AV scan saw he had major malware. I booted off a linux Live CD and voila the screen works. The real kicker of the story, the lappie had integrated graphics. They were going to sell him a new version of windows and charge him parts and labor for a vid card he didn't need . Since he was friends with my buddy and he had no data to retrieve I did a clean install of windows from his retail windows XP CD after wiping the disk for $40. Saved him a bunch of money. He has referred me quite a few people because I did right by him.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

You ain't going anywhere Rick. You have your niche in the market. Just cater to your demographic.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.