The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Programs you CAN live without

(30 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Scott
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 1853 times

Antman

QT is pretty dogmeat on Windows. Takes forever to load.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam

Those programs that insert themselves into the systray and start menu (most do that, but some pleasantly don't). That's the first thing I check (with WinPatrol and then use it to disable all that start up nonsense) after an install.

Vendor crap that comes preinstalled on a machine . . . Dell is notorious for this, like "Dell Support", which starts up with the machine and has no option to disable it from doing that (infuriating). HP does a lot of this also. If you need support from the vendor you can go to the vendor's web site just as easily. That preinstalled vendor crap is mostly just a marketing ploy and very often is used to convince you that you have to buy more vendor crap.

Can you tell that I don't like vendor crap?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

It is interesting to see how this thread agrees with the list of "crapplications" listed at the PC Decrapifier website:
http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/crapplications

"Anything Norton or Symantec", Roxio, RealPlayer, Adobe Reader, AOL Toolbar, and so on.

Posted 5 years ago

drifta

wow that is shocking. i do agree with the all that smaple stuff that microsoft gives.. i.e sample pixs, sample vids etc. some of the programs like winrar and adobe on the other hand i find quite usefull and easy to use.

Posted 5 years ago

JadeEmperor

+100 on "Anything Norton or Symantec"

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

i had wild tangent show up as malware on a scan.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Regarding WinRAR, notice that the person who nominated it said this:

trial WinRAR, preloaded, then says "your trial ran out 347 day/s ago" click continue then your done?

So, that's a complaint about unwanted software pre-loaded on a system.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

For those with Firefox and a loathe of toolbars, Random Site! is a semi-adequate replacement for Stumble until they publish a toolbar-less button.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9785

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Anything that comes in a "Suite".

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.