Programs you CAN live without - ALTERNATIVES

(27 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by InDiSent
  • Latest reply from Aleeve
  • Topic Viewed 1810 times

InDiSent
InDiSent

Hey guys,

I saw the topic about programs you can live without. I Use Zone Alarm Pro and Nero 7. I noticed a lot of you guys don't like those two apps. Can you shed some light as to why not and what do you use as alternatives? Thanks.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

when i used zone alarm i had a lot of lock ups and hangs and it slowed my computer down. that was a free 30 day (maybe 15) fully operational trial. i only used it a few days. most of the problem was restarts, or start up from sleep mode. it just locked up my computer several times.
nero got into everything. it decided it was my default everything, it was humongous, it wouldn't remember default settings no matter how much i changed it. it kind of made a mess of windows. before i heard of revo i tried to get rid of it through add and remove. it was still all over the place. i started using regedit to get rid of it, after about the third hour i just reinstalled windows. i think aol was easier to clean out. depending on what you need nero to do, you should keep it. i used very little of the program.
for what i do, i use roxio creator 10, sony vegas studio, windows movie maker, 1clickdvdcopy, dvd shrink, dvdfab, any audio converter, and any video converter. sony has a learning curve, it's kind of difficult so i only reinstall it if i have to. all of these only run when i turn them on, uninstall easy (except wmm) and take up very little space.

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

I only use Nero to make music CD's or to do CD to CD copying. If there's a better cd burning app that uses less resources for my basic needs i'd love to give it a try.

For my movie stuff i use DVD Fab HD, AnyDVD, DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, Ripit4me and Fair Use Wizard.

I've noticed ZA does make Firefox launch slow, but other than that i've had no other noticeable issues.
I did just realize that ZA does not have 64bit support yet.....i'll need to find another firewall when i build the new pc and start using Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

there's a lot of programs to do that, except i cant think of any. windows alone could do that, or cdburnerxp, its free. i thought there was a thread about this last week or not too long ago.

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

I used ZA for two years and it was great until the true vector error messages started popping up that I never could resolve. Not to mention the resources it hogged. (I didn't have the RAM that I have now) I won't tell you what I replaced it with because you geeks will laugh at me:)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

InDiSent, good idea for a thread to follow on from the other.

For me, I can live without a 3rd party firewall because my systems are behind a router. The XP and Vista firewalls are good enough for on the LAN and I'm not too worried about stopping outgoing traffic. Also, I'm very cautious and security-aware.

I use Nero v8 Ultra. Now I don't deny that it has become bloated and I can understand how others would want to give it up. However, I have gotten upgrades inexpensively by waiting for those special deals where it ends up free (or almost free) after rebates. Nero Recode 2 is better than DVD Shrink which hasn't been updated for years. Nero WaveEditor is the only audio editor I have that can handle 5.1 channel sound files. Also, I have Nero configured so that it only runs when I start an app. I have disabled all of the stuff that they would have running all the time, such as Nero Scout, Nero Home, the NMIndexing service and so on. Finally, I like Nero better than Roxio's similar suite or having to use several different freeware apps to perform the equivalent of what's easy in Nero.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I also use Nero. For DVD Video I use Nero Vison, I have yet to see a DVD Video burning program the is as easy to use and actully works. I tried Roxio's DVD Video program and it was unable to generate working DVD Menus.
For normal data discs/audio cds I use Nero Express which I could use other programs for if I wanted to but it works just fine so I don't need to.
Other then those two, I don't use anything else in Nero. Which is fine, the other programs can just sit on my 500GB drive until the day I have a use for them.

Posted 5 years ago

JadeEmperor
JadeEmperor

i once used ZA but got rid of it eventually. too many popups annoys me, slowed my system. windows firewall is fine as i don't mind what goes out of my system. i've been careful though on where i surf and what i install on my system to avoid being host to unwanted applications.

never used nero. the only software that i paid for if the Vista that came with my laptop. everything else has to be freeware like DVD Flick, my browsers (FF and Google Chrome), avast!, vlc, to name a few.

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

The only software I have paid for on my laptop is Office 07!
Even that was bought through a students site - so I only paid £50 (US$100?)

If any of you are interested, here is a list of my programs - any opinions, anything I really don't need?

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

($73.41 these days or just enough to see how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall)

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

At least they let you keep the holes (with no restriction as to usage).

Posted 5 years ago

JadeEmperor
JadeEmperor

@Aleeve

no counterstrike while studying. :-)

man that's a load of Acer thingies you got there. ever thought of slimming down your install?

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Java6 is update 11 now

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Counterstrike isn't the problem :P
It's Call of Duty 4!!!

Yes lots of Acer things I know - considering removing AcerArcade, it's basically Windows Media Centre
I use neither!

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

COD 4 is a great game, Aleeve. I have just bought COD 5 and even though it´s not quite as good (due to WW 2 being the motto, nothing new!!) the graphics are absolutely amazing and it´s so intense!! You should try it.

Posted 5 years ago

drifta
drifta

holy ****..that is a hell of alot of programs man.
i have 55 programs total including; halflife: deathmatch, css, farcry 2,nfs carborn and wc3. as u can see i do alot of gaming. there is alot of junk on ur pc. u should do a clean up and asses what programs u use and what u dont.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Most of that Acer software is worthless... you should go through the list and figure out which ones you really use.

My sister bought an Acer laptop recently, first thing I did was remove every Acer utility - laptop runs like a champ now, you'd never know it only cost $499.

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Yeah - I'll have a look at the Acer software tonight
Just, it's the thing 'what happens if I ever DO need it - then you don't have it any more' :(

Anyone able to shed any light on 'Acer GridVista' ?

Posted 5 years ago

drifta
drifta

i just realised that ur cs 1.6 installation is larger than my css by approx 70mb

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

GridVista divides up the screen into separate "sections", so you can tile windows into customized pre-defined areas. Neat for a 3 monitor display... kinda useless for the tiny-screen laptops that it comes installed on.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.