The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Programs you CAN live without

(30 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Scott
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 1853 times

Scott

We've had lots of threads where we're given a chance to promote our favorite apps. How about one with our least favorite?

These I will never install on my system again (in no particular order):

-AdAware, now bloatware, haven't used it in over a year
-Zone Alarm, was great when standalone firewalls weren't too common
-RealPlayer, crapware since the 90's (yes, there is Real Alternative)
-AOL anything. Name one thing AOL does better than anyone else
-AVG, also bloated now and rarely near the top of AV software
-Nero, fool me once...

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs

Nero, used to love it as Nero 6 + 7, after that it just turned into bloatware. Over 1gig for nero 8, only a bit smaller as 9, come on!!
Yahoo Messenger need some doors opening anyone, lol
Alice formelly known as AOL here in Germany, the guys that keep knocking on my door really .... me off. (At least twice a month)
Super 2008 absolute waste of time using Vista, well I had problems. Fair Use Wizard 2 was great for me.
ANYTHING from Ashampoo, spammer no.1 out there, lol

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Great idea! Programs we love to hate.

* Any TOOLBAR -- Google Toolbar, Yahoo Toolbar, Ask, MyWebSearch, etc. Cause conflicts and waste space. Removal cures many ills. Would any sane person run these if they weren't foistware?
* AOL Toolbar -- double trouble, starts with AOL and ends with Toolbar. Avoid like the plague.
* Any Codec Pack -- K-Lite, CCCP, Vista, XP, etc. Out-of-date, conflict-ridden, and sometimes pirated. Removal cures many ills.
* iTunes -- starts a service called "iPodService" even though I have NO iPod. Disable the service and iTunes re-enables it! Installs "iTunesHelper" in startup, lots of trouble with version 8, bloated.

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames

Hate all those toolbars too - gotta be so careful when installing apps, because many just keep bugging you to install the google toolbar:(
And codecpacks are no favorite with me either, as ScottW knows all too well:)
But I love Nero (Ok, I got it free, came with the PC. I wouldn't buy it seperately, way too expensive when there is freeware to do the same).
And I hate programs that clutter up your rightclick menu without the option to choose whether you want them there or not. And I hate them even more when they leave those traces after being uninstalled and the option doesn't work anymore, but it still clutters your rcmenu.
A lot of zip utilities have these tendencies.
(Revo prevents that from happening again - I never uninstall anything by itself anymore, but always through Revo).

Posted 5 years ago

randomaccess

Good thread!

-AOL in any shape or form
-Norton or McAfee anti-virus/security products
-Zone Alarm
-Desktop Search and Browser Toolbars that change my default search engine and otherwise muck up my settings.
-iTunes - don't get me started. = )

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

don't forget almost anything made by google and java

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny

randomaccess, you read my mind! (I thought I was the only one:)

Posted 5 years ago

randomaccess

Nope techgranny, you aren't the only one, I've been giving those programs the evil eye for years. =)

There are probably more but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Posted 5 years ago

JadeEmperor

i'll never install, again, what everyone here have listed. :-)

rain check on Google apps though.

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire

-ANY Toolbar (with the exception of StumbleUpon)
-Any Codec Pack (Thanks to ScottW)
-Google Desktop Search
-Windows Search 4.0 (UGH!)
-AOL (with the exception of AIM - I usually use Trillian, but occasionally I need an AIM specific feature)
-AVG (just never liked it)
-Real Player (there is simply no need anymore)
-Norton or McAfee (unless they are free with hardware, even then most likely not)

-I am torn on ZoneAlarm.

I still use AdAware because it still will find things, but I don't use any "active" feature of it. The same goes for SpyBot.
I like Nero, but I do use a much older version (from 2004).
I must use iTunes, as I have an iPod.

@SarahJames
I always use Revo as well.

Posted 5 years ago

The Geek

- AntiVirus
- AntiSpyware
- Third Party Firewalls

I don't need anti-virus - I'm the Geek, viruses run away in fear. =P

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Interesting statement by The Geek and not sure what to make of it.
I am (NO) Geek and do (NOT) run any of the "Stuff" in (Real Time) mode either.
I (DO) however, perform routine maintenance on all my machines on a regular, manual schedule.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

i agree with the third party firewalls, too.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Remember, gang, it is the height of geekiness to run your system without active virus and malware protection! :-)

I think if this thread goes on long enough, just about everything will be eliminated. Some don't like AOL anything; some don't like Google anything; and someone will almost certainly not like Yahoo anything. Pretty soon there's nothing left. Same will happen with music jukeboxes, DVD burning suites, and so on. An interesting corollary to this thread is the one started by InDiSent for alternatives to the ones on this thread.

One more from me: DivX. Why would you need to pay money for a compressor that is available free? DivX just does MPEG-4 ASP encoding which can be done with XviD or Nero Digital. When encoding high definition video, DivX still uses ASP when AVC is a superior standard provided you have the playback capability. And H.264 AVC encoding is also easy to come by with x264 or Nero Digital.

Posted 5 years ago

drifta

@ Scott W
i dont see whats wrong with combined community codec pack. ive been using it for many years now. and i have had no problems so far. i would like to know what kind of problems it supposedly causes so i can check if i have those issues with my machine and eleminate it.
i do however love vlc. it has pretty much everything you need for video playback
toolbars are simply junk, tey have no real purpose and are prone to cause issues
itunes is absolutley retarded. will never ever install it again
i just wish that mp3 manufacturers like apple made it possible to simply drag and drop files. life would be so much simpler.
ie 8 beta 2..currently hate it. hopefully the final realase is much more stable and reliable

Posted 5 years ago

drifta

i recently uninstalled roxio as i was planning on installing nero, but after reading all the posts i am begining to reconsider my decision.
should i go ahead and install nero or should i reinstall roxio? all i need to do is copy cds, burn music and other files.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

@drifta, you can read my ranting about codec packs in this old thread. Give Nero a try, and if you don't like it you can remove it fully with one of their clean tools.

@ALL, I'm going to keep thinking of these onesy, twosy. You *can* live without Adobe Reader, now at v9, which is definitely bloated and adds unneeded restrictions. Foxit PDF Reader, the free version, should be able to read most PDF files that the average user encounters. Foxit is definitely smaller, and should be faster and less restrictive as well. I don't have a lot of experience with Foxit, but it is widely praised.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs

Well I forget to mention Adobe in my first post, now there´s another bloatware program. @ScottW, Foxit Reader is really good in my opinion, starts up and opens PDFs a lot faster than Adobe. Although I haven´t yet used 9

Posted 5 years ago

drifta

thanks scott
i like to stick with adobe. i just disable some of the unnecessary servies it runs and it seems all good to me. i am also used to it and know it quite good so id rather stick with it than try something new

Posted 5 years ago

JadeEmperor

"I think if this thread goes on long enough, just about everything will be eliminated."

@ScottW

agree. let's continue this thread and for sure someone will list Windows as well. LOL!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.