The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

program such as gost?

(10 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by telltommy
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 1095 times

telltommy

Hi forks, new here and i installed Ubuntu 8.04 only three days ago and it's working fine and i'm really learning fast. I've got two printers working, router no problem email, it's just great. I'm getting away from Windows and there constant problems and nagging authorization codes. Now i have things downloaded i like and was wondering is there a program available that partitions the hd or uses flash media to save an exact copy of the HD? If not what program to atleast back up data. thanks Tom

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Try Acronis for Linux. Acronis® True Image Server for Linux has been certified to work with Ubuntu Software

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Acronis for Linux Workstation is $80 US! I thought that the great thing about Linux is that all the apps you need are free. How about this one?
http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page

Posted 6 years ago

0zSpitt

you just had to post that linux app. my ubuntu computer is starting to cause problems with my girlfriend. makes it even worse that she watches lifetime and reads cosmo. just so she stays quiet while i figure out this image program. lol

Posted 6 years ago

telltommy

partimage sounds great but i'm lost on all those steps to install. If someone could tell me exactly step by step how to do it i would . I tried and no good, and i'm sure it's my lack of programming skills. I agree with keeping things free but thanks for the suggestion.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

all you have to do for partimage is goto sytem>administration>synaptic package manager

then you just click on the search and type in "partimage" without the quotes then put a tick in the box to install then click apply and it should download and install it all for you :D

Posted 6 years ago

telltommy

wow, thanks, I didn't realize it was there all the time. This is great, i'm learning some new stuff everyday about this wonderful operating sys.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

glad i could be of assistance and welcome to the forums and come back if you need more help because that is what we are here for :)

Posted 6 years ago

telltommy

I have another problem. I open Partimage with sudo Partimage and choose the hard disk partition to backup but the "Image file to creat/use" is blue and i can't write to it. Am i doing something wrong?

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

let me read up on this and i'll see what i can find because i have never really used it myself so i'm not really sure on how to use it

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.