The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Program Files drectory

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by 6card
  • Latest reply from 6card
  • Topic Viewed 276 times

6card

Had recent reload of OS to Win7 64 bit. Was 32 bit … no problem with the 32 bit.

I now see two directories: “Program Files” and “Program Files (x86)”.

Can I combine these two directories into one, say just Program Files?

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

No, the program files (x86) folder is for 32bit programs. No reason to combine them.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar

Program Files is for 64bit applications and Program Files (x86) is for 32bit applications
Simple Answer NO

Posted 1 year ago

6card

@gedstar @oldgeezer

All I wanted to do was move all into the one directory. Still bad?

six

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

YES!!!!

Why would you want to monkey with the way the system operates???

There are hundereds of registry entries pointing to those files where they are at now. Do you want to change those, too???

Next you will be back saying "My system does not work">

We will just laugh!!!

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

I agree with Xhi, many of the problems we see here are caused by the user themselves and without a good reason. You are likly to be added to the list. I don't know about the "we will just laugh" part but, you would certainly get an I told you so. And, for good reason.

Posted 1 year ago

6card

OK OK!

Thanks, whs, you satisfied my curiosity saying .... "hundreds of registry entries pointing to those files"

You know, y'all, I've been around five or four years now. I learned long long ago you don't learn much by just sitting back and just excepting, the ha has and the criticisms, for dumb ass sounding questions.

What would have really been dumb assed was to just go ahead a do it. And what would have been even dumber assed, IMO, would be to just carry on and not knowing what nor why.

Jon

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.