• Topic Viewed 1582 times

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

where does this processor rate : Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad CPU Q6660 @ 2.40GHz

what would be an upgrade?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Oz, what do you mean by "where does this processor rate"? I happen to have one of those and I consider it very poor. The Geek also has one and is raving about it. I guess it depends what you are doing. The only time I have seen it earn it's money was with Video editing. Other than that, it is just another 2.4GHz processor. There are faster quads, but the good ones cost a lot of money - and that's the only argument that speaks for the Q6600, it's cheap.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Oz, check the CPU charts at Tom's Hardware to see how the Q6600 rates against other current procs:
http://www.tomshardware.com/ch.....ks,31.html

And, you get to choose your benchmark so you can look at the type of operations that you are most interested in. As far as upgrades, if you stick with Intel Core2 Quads (C2Q), the Q6600 is basically now the entry level. Next up in 65nm is Q6700. Then, in 45nm, the Q8200 is a more entry level with less cache and a slower clock speed. The rest leap ahead of the Q6600: Q9300, Q9400, Q9450, Q9550, and Q9650. All of the Core2 Extreme Quad Cores (QXnnnn) would also be upgrades. See Intel's comparison charts here:
http://compare.intel.com/pcc/d.....ture=en-US

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

my xps came with it, that was the only thing i haven't changed yet on it. when i typed it into google only a few things showed up. the links help

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Oz, That's an interesting story. How old is this XPS that you have changed all but the CPU in? Does that change-all include the motherboard? The easy things to get to are RAM, hard drive(s), graphics, optical drive. Did anything else get changed? What about power -- the PSU? -- and cooling: fans, heatsinks? Well, it's good to know that the XPS is (was?) a good pre-made box for modifying.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Post Deleted by raphoenix 10/23/2008 - Question withdrawn

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

i just got it in july, i haven't changed the mother board but the power supply, hard drives, dvd drives, etc. just the add-ons i've changed. the graphic card and tv tuner are fine, it came with 4 gigs of ram. it's already fast and stable, i was just filling in the blank spots inside.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Oz, just another thought. I have read a lot of positive reports about overclocking the Q6600. It can apparently be pushed to at least 3.2GHz. Maybe that's an option for you rather than changing the whole CPU. Note that I have not done that myself because I do not really need that kind of power. See this article for details.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

that's a pretty good link, the step by step is easy to follow. i've heard of over clocking, but what is the purpose of doing it and how does it effect the processor?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

The purpose is obvious, it makes the processor faster. But it also makes it hotter. The cooling has to be adequate. If the heat is controlled, there should be no side effects. But the Q6600 has been overclocked to more than 4GHz - so if you stay in the 3 GHz range, there should still be a safety margin.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

this has a fan that takes up the front quarter of the case, it's huge. think i'll try it. if i screw it up how much will it cost you to replace it? :P

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Hmm, we're talking about $180. Get as much info and war stories from the web as you can. Well prepared, it should work. Maybe some of the hardware geeks around here have more detailed advice. Why don't you start a new thread like "Need advice for overclocking a Q6600". I am sure you'll get useful inputs.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@0z,
Non-scientific method.
I O/C and Over/Volt my processors right on the edge of (Thermal Shut-down).
When you can smell that "burnt heat smell" coming out of the case, you know you're right :) :)
Works for me.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦ :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

OZ, don't listen to Rick. He is a Kamikaze pilot. He would fry eggs on his box. lol

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs, & @0z,

Remove those case sides, use 3600 RPM, 18 IN blade floor fans blowing into the box.
Spouse and others will soon get use to high noise levels when you crank off your machines.
The complaining stops after about (6) months. :) :)
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

the burning plastic makes it sound easier to set up. i like to use all my senses.
whs, $180's not bad. that's how many bags of aluminum cans?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@0z,
Use only heavy metal cases.
Be sure to put OHSA approved "HOT WORK" warning signs around machines.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I also have that processer. I got my computer via eBay overclocked. After I turned the computer on I got a Blue Screen Error so I turned off the overclock. Between that and other things I've read I wouldn't recommend overclocking.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

jd, I am usually not a fan of those kinds of "tunings" either. But there seems to be a big fan community that has overclocked the Q6600 all the way to 4 GHz. If Oz wants to have fun, he should do it. Worst thing that can happen is a blue screen (or the house burning down - lol). For starters he can always put ice packs around it.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs & @jd2066,
In all seriousness; (whs) is Correct !!!!

Most of us "ole timers" have been doing this kinda stuff for years beginning when the first CPUs were produced.

Nothing wrong with running on the edge.

One just has to know where the edge is and not fall off :) :)

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.