How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Problems with Windows Media Player

(22 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by parker6
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 59727 times

parker6

Please help!

I recently installed a trial version of Nero 8 on my Windows XP computer. Now, the bought dvd box sets I have will not play on my computer. I deleted Nero but it hasn't helped; Windows Media, DivX, all the players I have now tell me "Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings"

They have always worked fine before, so I do not believe the problem is with these settings. During Nero Installation, I did tick a box that I think was asking if I would be playing dvds from Europe or America, and I ticked Europe, when i think these discs are made/compatable with the America option. But I don't know how to undo it! Now all teh dvds I have paid for will not play, for no reason.

Any help I would massively appreciate! Thank you xxx

Posted 6 years ago

parker6

Ok, I have messed around with the american/europe settings and still nothing.

Windows Media Player will play discs I have burned myself with no problems.

It's just the ones I have bought in box sets that won't play, even though they worked before without problems. Please help! It's so bizarre.

Posted 6 years ago

parker6

ok, last post I promise - apparently I am suddenly lacking an 'MPEG-2 decoder'.

Is there anywhere anyone knows of that I can download a compatible one for free, or do I have to pay?!

Any help appreciated! X

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Edit: Post about region code deleted. Now I see your post about the MPEG-2 Decoder. From the error message that is more likely then the region code.

Edit 2: Were you able to play DVDs before you installed Nero 8? If so it's possible you have an MPEG-2 Decoder but the Nero 8 install accidentally messed up the decoder settings.

Posted 6 years ago

parker6

I was fine to play them all before I downloaded Nero. I thought it was a decoder issue too, after recent developments, but now the message that comes up when I try to play the discs has changed to "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card."

I have no idea what a driver is, or where I might find one!

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Now that I think about it the same thing happened to me.
I installed Nero 8 and I get that error message when playing some DVDs on my computer when it worked fine before.
I never thought about a connection between the two before as I rarely play DVDs on my computer so it was a while after installing Nero 8 it happened.
Also I'm fairly sure installing an updated video driver like the message says will not help as if you could play DVDs before then there is most likely nothing wrong with your current video driver.
The problem that error is talking about is that there is software designed to make sure the DVD you try to play is not an illegal copy and something possibly the Nero 8 install screwed up that software so now the computer can't tell if it's a legal disc and thus won't play it.

Edit: I just tried some DVDs and they all play. So I guess my problem went away or none of the disc's I have are affected. I'll search on your problem some more and I'll post back if I think of any ideas.

Posted 6 years ago

parker6

Thanks very much, I would appreciate any info on how to sort this out, - it's one of the main things i use my PC for, so it's becoming a big problem!

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Hmm. So far my search on Google hasn't found any obvious answers.
Here are a few things you can try though I don't know if they will help.
1. Check that the DVD region on the computer is set correctly.
Right click on "My Computer" and click manage.
Click device manager on the left.
Double CD/DVD drives or similar text.
Double click your DVD drive.
Click the DVD region tab.
Check that it's set to the right region for the DVDs you are playing.
Note if you decide to change it can only be changed 5 times.

2. Try uninstalling Nero. I don't really know how Nero 8 could have made DVD video playback not work but if it happened right after it's a possibility.

Posted 6 years ago

parker6

Posted 6 years ago

parker6

Thanks so much for your help, but neither option seems to have helped. I even went and clicked on my video driver, having finally located it under Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager, and clicked on update - only to be told I don't need an update and the one I have is fine. Yet I still get that message!! Ugh. I have no idea what is wrong with it.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

If possible, try rolling back your driver instead.

Posted 6 years ago

parker6

Hmm, when i click to do that, I get a message saying "no driver files have been backed up for this device" and I get told to try troubleshooting again (which has no idea how to help). Think I should go ahead anyway?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I think the "no driver files" message is an error saying there isn't a driver to roll back to.
So you can not go ahead.
Also is the error message with Windows Media Player always about copy protection or does it change depending on things like if Nero is installed?

Posted 6 years ago

parker6

Initially it was just a message suggesting that I change my screen resolution, etc. Now I have deleted Nero and exhausted every other option, it is consistently insisting that it is a problem with digital protection, etc. :(

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

My next guess would to reinstall the MPEG-2 Decoder you have installed if possible as it sounds like Nero has it's own MPEG-2 Decoder that messed that install up.
Most likely your MPEG-2 Decoder would be Cyberlink PowerDVD or Intervideo WinDVD.

Posted 6 years ago

parker6

Oooh, my windows media player still isn't working, but I am able to watch the dvds now through "intervideo WinDVD 8", so that's a massive improvement. Unfortunately my trial version will only last for a week or so. . . is my only remaining option to spend money on this software for something that was free last week? Annoyingly, I suspect so, right?

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Try VLC instead of WMP! Not as pretty but so much more functional.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Posted 6 years ago

HASH
HASH

parker6 on your third post, you asked for a place to download the codecs. Yeah, i reckon your problem is with the codecs, try downloading K-Lite Pro codec package which i use on my vista, media player 11 and everything works fine. Here is the link for the download:
http://www.free-codecs.com/dow.....c_Pack.htm

hopefully that will work, or agreeing with taybay try vlc which supports many file associations and i use it at school to even play flash files etc. That should work.

Posted 6 years ago

parker6

HASH, thanks very much for the link, but unfortunately it made no difference to the status of my Windows Media Player. Am genuinely so shocked that downloading a free trial of such a famous company could play such havoc with my computer!

However, Taybay, that player was free and works perfectly so thank you so much for the link! Will just use that from now on and never ever click on Nero links again. Thank you!

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Not a problem. Don't forget to stop back once in a while!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!