SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

(Solved) - Problems with making a Live persistent Ubuntu USB Drive.

(8 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by alvasrawuther
  • Latest reply from alvasrawuther
  • Topic Viewed 2119 times

alvasrawuther

Actually it's been quite a few months since I had this problem. I still haven't found any solution so I'm still looking for it.
Here's the problem I'm having in a nutshell -:

I'm trying to make a Persistent Live Ubuntu USB drive and make it run. I've tried Unetbootin, Universal Pendrive Installer and even Ubuntu's own Startup Disk Creator but none of them have succeeded so far. They all work great for making a non-persistent one but then that's not what I want.

I posted a topic at BleepingComputer too and tried whatever they said but it didn't work. Everything works fine until the loading screen of Ubuntu and then it hangs there when I select "Run Ubuntu from USB" or whatever that is.
Once I tried selecting to install it and got into the desktop environment but then again when I quit it didn't save anything.

Additional info:-
When it's stuck at the loading screen, and then when I press ESC. Here's what I get:
I referred to How-To Geek's very own guide but it doesn't get any better.
And maybe the link of the topic at BleepingComputer that I posted above might help.

I'd be really grateful for anyone who'd be able to help. Thanks.

Posted 2 years ago

gnuwoods

OK. Can you answer the following please:

1. What version of Ubuntu?
2. What size is your pen drive?
3. What size are you setting your persistence to?

Posted 2 years ago

alvasrawuther

Here:
1 - I have tried with a variety of versions of Ubuntu, namely 9, 10 and and also with the latest 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot. So far, I've ended up with the same result.
2 - I have used a 2GB as well as an 8GB one.
3 - First I set it up at 1GB and recently at 4GB.

Posted 2 years ago

gnuwoods

OK. If we use the 8GB pen drive with a 1GB persistence, what happens?

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

How about THIS method?
http://www.howtogeek.com/97177.....-the-mess/

Posted 2 years ago

alvasrawuther

@gnuwoods - I've already tried that, it doesn't help.

@hartryst - I don't think it will help. Because the Ubuntu Live Disk doesn't even load up with persistence(Yes, even with Ubuntu's own startup disk maker - as I've mentioned in the first post). The change in that method is that he makes up another partition for downloading/saving other files . He still uses the same partition Ubuntu is installed on for persistence so everything else is the same. Why do you think it'll help? But I'll try and get back to you soon.

:)

Posted 2 years ago

gnuwoods

If you use the actual LiveCD are you able to boot into GNOME, or are you constantly hit with the same error over and over?

Posted 2 years ago

alvasrawuther

@gnuwoods - I can boot into GNOME and use Ubuntu on a LiveCD or a LiveUSB with no persistence.

But when I try and make the USB persistent, it doesn't boot into GNOME. However, when I select "Install" on the boot menu, it boots into GNOME, but again with no persistence.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!