SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Problems with Internet - local or wider problem?

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by mariana3
  • Latest reply from 0zSpitt
  • Topic Viewed 434 times

mariana3

Hi. I've been having frustrating problems with the Internet for the last couple of months, and I've run out of ideas. (I'm new here, and I hope this is the right place to post this - if not, I apologize).

My computer runs normally, everything works fine, but lately I often (usually) get "page (or server) error" - type of message or similar when I try to open a website or jump to a webpage. Or, I get rerouted to some other site, either the one I have loaded as a sidebar bookmark, or some totally "offtopic" site. It's driving me nuts. There're 5 all-time running computers in the household, and only one has the same kind of problem, although not as often as I do, it seems. The worst is when I try to access Google or Yahoo - I get page error in at least 50% of tries.

Not one particular event coincided with the beginning of this situation, but I've really started noticing the problem after upgrading to Firefox 3 (now I'm on 3.0.4.), and there was also a switch to another type of "package" with our Internet provider (from Internet-only to Internet+phone). When asked, they said there's no problem at their end, but a few weeks ago there was that trouble with Internet connections due to cable(s) being cut, so we all thought that was maybe it. Well, if those cables are patched up, then I have no idea what's up, because in the last 2 hours I got so many "page error"-messages that I was tempted to shoot the computer.

So, just to be clear, I run very stable Win2k on AMD Athlon 64 processor 3000+, with 512 RAM, and use Mozilla Firefox 3+. I live in Zagreb, Croatia.

If anyone has any idea, or a similar experience, I'd be grateful for any advice. I have a computer geek in the house, and he's out of ideas, too.
Thanks.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

As a first test, I would check whether that also happens with other browsers (IE, Opera, The World browser, K-Meleon - to name a few alternatives). That will help to narrow the probelem down to Firefox or "other".

Posted 5 years ago

mariana3

Thanks, will do that over the next couple of days and I'll post the results. Firefox 3 has been my prime suspect, but I can't be 100% sure (yet). I wanted to uninstall it and install the older version (Firefox 2), but I couldn't find it.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Every browser has it's pros and cons. I use 6 different browsers depending of what I do, but Firefox is the one I use the least.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

i have trouble with firefox doing this exact same thing. it usually happens late in the afternoon and sunday morning. it also started with firefox 3.

@whs what other browsers do you use?

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.