The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

problems when using docking station with new Windows 8 laptop

(2 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by nharp0386
  • Latest reply from nharp0386
  • Topic Viewed 1907 times

nharp0386

Last week, I received a brand new HP Pavilion g4-2275dx laptop and Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U SATA docking station. The laptop came preloaded with Windows 8, and the docking station is only USB 2.0, so it may be old.

The drive I'm using the docking station with is one that came out of an old, all-but-dead laptop. It has 3 partitions, and the one I need to access is the bootable C: drive.

Whenever I connect the docking station to my Windows 8 PC (via USB and with a 2.5" SATA HDD inserted), the Disk Manager won't get past the "Connecting to Virtual Disk Service..." message. Computer lists 3 new drives: Local Disk (F:), Local Disk (G:), and Local Disk (H:). Sometimes it shows the "percentage of drive free" bar and the text indicating free space and total space (i.e. "20 GB of 100 GB free") for F: or for F: and G:, but never for H:, and when I try to explore a drive without the bar/text, Computer freezes. I believe H: must be the partition I need to access (although its drive letter came before the others when used in the old laptop...). When I attempt to close Computer, my system begins to behave strangely. I've gotten a black screen with nothing but the Start screen's bottom scroll bar. Sometimes the Charms bar won't appear. Sometimes it will appear but the icons in it are unresponsive when clicked. Sometimes those options work, but when I go to Settings -> Power -> Restart, the computer freezes at the "Restarting" screen, resulting in an eventual BSOD with the "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE" error message.

When I connect my Western Digital My Passport 1 TB USB 3.0 HDD, I have no issues at all.

Is it likely that my computer is the problem? Is the problem a lack of compatibility between the docking station and Windows 8? Is there an issue due to the partition I need to access being marked bootable? Is it likely that I would be able to access the H: drive (or whatever that drive's bootable C: partition may be) via an Ubuntu Live CD (I'm unsure if the docking station is compatible with Linux though) or through another utility (and if so, what)? I really need to copy files from it.

Thank you!

Posted 1 year ago

nharp0386

I had been plugging the docking station into one of the USB 3.0 ports. I just tried the 2.0 port. Disk Management successfully loaded, and presented me with an "Initialize Disk" window (I hit "Cancel"). It showed that HDD as "Not initialized" and having no partitions (all space unallocated). No new drives appeared in Computer.

The drive behaved fine when used with my old laptop (the issue with that laptop is a power supply issue, not a drive issue). I don't have another working computer to try it in, nor do I have another drive to try in the docking station.

I assume that I should not initialize it, as that may make my data more difficult to recover, correct? Is problem likely my laptop, the docking station, the drive, or an incompatibility issue? What utility might I be able to use to see this partition and copy my data over?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.