How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Problems opening files

(16 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by nekizalb
  • Latest reply from rocco
  • Topic Viewed 2415 times

nekizalb
nekizalb

Anytime i open a file that opens in office 2007 by double-clicking it, the program launches, then i get an error that says "<insert program name here> cannot find the specified file. Please check the path and try again."

I've also gotten it in firefox.

Vista Business SP1
Office 07 Small Business Edition

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I would check the filetype associations. E.g. is .docx associated with Word, etc.

Posted 6 years ago

nekizalb
nekizalb

The program is launching succesfully. it just wont open the file. i have to go to the office button -> open and navigate to the file from within the program. Not time efficient at all.

Here's a pic of the error i'm getting

http://i67.photobucket.com/alb...../error.jpg

Posted 6 years ago

nekizalb
nekizalb

Can anyone else help me out here?

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

what files extentions are you trying to use ex. (.doc .docx) this will help us figure this out faster

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

nekizalb, I have a gut feeling that the problem you are seeing is similar to one solved recently on this forum. See the following discussion:
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....post-21357

Check your file type associations, "open" action for .docx and any other misbehaving Office extensions. If they appear in a similar format as in the previous thread, try adding the quotes as described by jd2066.

Posted 6 years ago

nekizalb
nekizalb

I've had issues with several different extensions. docx, doc, html, xls, xlsx, dwg

When i double-click the file, the correct program launches. That isn't the issue. After the program launches, it gives me the error in the picture i linked above. Once the program is launched, I can go to the appropriate Open File dialog box and get the file open just fine. It's just a hassle to have to do that after i double-click the file.

Example- I double-click signin.docx, word 2007 launches, word says file cannot be found, i open Open File dialog box, i navigate to signin.docx, i double-click the file from open file dialog box, file opens fine.

Thanks for any help.

Posted 6 years ago

nekizalb
nekizalb

Also, I tried to follow the steps in the thread you linked, and i don't have a file types tab in my folder options dialog box.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Sorry, my bad. That other thread I linked to is in the XP forum and this is the Vista forum. Default programs and file type associations are available separately in Control Panel -> (Programs) -> Default Programs. Under "Associate a file type or protocol with a program", you can check to see if a given extension, e.g. .docx, is assigned to the correct application. Unfortunately, there is no Advanced button here at least not on my system. Also, your associations seem to be working. Under "Set Your Default Programs", if MS Office appears on the list, you can select "Set this program as default" to reset all the associations which might fix your problem.

If that doesn't help, then I will need help, too. I have very little experience with Office so I'm not an expert there. What about the "Office Diagnostics" tool -- has that ever helped anybody?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

@ScottW. I was thinking this was an Office problem, but as it also happens with nekizalbs' Firefox, um?

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Lighthouse, good catch. If HTML files launched with Firefox present the same problem, this is probably more widespread than just MS Office. The other good thing about Firefox is it's easy to test from the command line. I ran this command on my system:

D:\Web Pages>"D:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox" "Kaspersky Online Scan.html"

And it launched the HTML document in Firefox, no problem. If this works for the OP, we are back to a problem with file type associations or object linking (DDE, OLE, COM, ???)

Posted 6 years ago

MichaelF

What association do I need to set for a .asp file?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Any web browser

Posted 6 years ago

MichaelF

I've tried it in Internet Explorer and it still will not open. Is this a Vista problem?

Posted 6 years ago

nekizalb
nekizalb

K, well I've stopped having the problem in firefox, so it's just back to office issues. I'm not sure why it started working in ff, but it did. i've run the office repair tool, and it didn't help. I also tried resetting the file type associations, and it didn't help either.

Posted 6 years ago

rocco

I solved your problem, Nekizalb.

You have Avery Wizard installed right?
Uninstall it. It will fix your problem.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.