The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

problems logging in to Windows 8

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by RobKeogh
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 909 times

RobKeogh

I have a brand new HP Envy with Windows 8. I have only had it on for around 1 hour and was just setting everything up when we had a power outage. Since the power has been restored, I am unable to log back in. I just have the plain coloured screen, with my name and log in. I am using the password that I have used for 15 years on my other computers, so I know that it's the correct password but the computer is telling me that it's the incorrect password and I have no idea where to go from here, I don't have any options. Can someone please help me, it would be much appreciated.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar

You could try the recovery partition option, if there's one available.
Have you tried no password, I mean living the password blank!

Did you use a Local Account or a Microsoft Account, !If you sign in with a Microsoft account, please go to Microsoft account sign-in webpage and reset it!

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

Make sure the keyboard is in the proper language.
At the login screen, verify / click the bottom right input language button to make sure it's the right input.

Here in Qu├ębec, some systems (ASUS and MSI) are French - France (AZERTY) by default EVEN AFTER SELECTING FRENCH CANADA as the language to install, as opposed to French - Canada (QWERTY). 'Location' is also set to France as opposed to Canada. Needless to say, there's a few settings that needs to be changed to make sure French - Canada is the input language for the current user, at login screen and for every new account created.

All other brands are French - Canada so this issue doesn't apply to those.

Might be something as silly as that.

Again, this might not be your issue, but a heads up any way.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

It is the Nums lock that does it. You probably do not have seperate numeric keys and when the nums are locked, you get garbage. Unlock the nums lock and it should work. There is a key on the upper part of your keyboard for that.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

With the power outtage while your machine was running your hard disk may have errors on it. If the other suggestions do not work, boot a windows installation DVD if you have one and get to the command prompt option and run chkdsk C: /r

where C: is your windows installation partition. It may take a while to complete

I tried to find your machine's specs, user manual and configuration on HP's site but need the model #

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Here is another 'customer' we might not see again.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

Yes, every forum get those "customers". But we are like a lighthouse. Always shining the beacon whether the captains of the ships want the help or not.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Nice comparison.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Except that a "beacon" has neither a light to shine, nor a fog signal.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Hear, hear, the expert speaks.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

sorry posted in wrong thread

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.