The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Problems

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by samsanmiller
  • Latest reply from 0xMalloc
  • Topic Viewed 498 times

samsanmiller

Pc was running great until a few days ago.
Now very slow / freezing/various programs will not open eg: "microsoft help and support will not open"
Have had messages saying this system "Not designed to run or contains an error" Avicap32dll
Have gone through system restore, but no Joy. HOW CAN I RESTORE FURTHER BACK THAN SAY 5 DAYS, I USED TO BE ABLE TO DO THIS , BUT NOT NOW????
Would restoring PC back to factory default settings help?
Using Vista

Thanks for any help given
Sam

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

First I would run anti-malware. If you don't have it (it's free) http://www.filehippo.com/downl.....i_malware/

Posted 1 year ago

gort

Run antivirus software or download it as suggested.Or you can run an online scanner for free.Factory restore will fix it,but usually a last resort,unless it is new and you don't have alot of downloaded software,which wil all be deleted at that time.Before doing that,you can run sfc/scannow and disk check to cfind file and system errors and/or corruption.Depends on what caused the problem...i.e., where you were surfing or downloading the past few days prior to the problem.Sometimes an update will cause problems,especially if you have auto update on.So,you can check installed updates as well.

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle

After running link given by ronnie...

maybe try one of the' F ' buttons ( sometimes F10 or F8).. you are looking for 'Repair computer'

If you restore to Factory it will clear EVERYTHING and return to the state when you purchased the computer, none of your work will have been saved.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Also, are you using "Skype"? I've noticed a lot of people using "Skype" having problems with this error.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

You want to try "System Restore". Run that from your start menu. If you can't, try to start your PC in safe mode. To do so, press the F8 key repeatedly after the logo of your PC's manufacturer, but before the "© Microsoft Corporation" loading bar. Then select "Safe Mode".

If you still can't access your computer this way, you can backup your files using this method:
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=1

Then you can also run "System Restore" from the "System Recovery Options" window. Make sure you download an appropriate Windows 7 version (32-bit or 64-bit, the same you already have) or you won't be able to run "System Restore" from there. (The Windows 7 DVD can repair Windows Vista installations)

Posted 1 year ago

0xMalloc

This does sound like a virus. BUT sudden slowness can also be the cause of a failing hard drive. Any chance your computer has experience a sudden jolt? (tripped over, dropped?) Some PCs have a hardware diagnosis option you can use at pre-boot.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.