The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Problem with Windows 7 and Network/Internet

(15 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by JoeyB
  • Latest reply from JoeyB
  • Topic Viewed 1425 times

JoeyB

Hi, I hope someone will have an idea that will help me out. I have 4 PC's (2 wired XP, 1 wireless XP, 1 wired Win7). The Win7 32bit machine was Win XP before upgrading the OS. Never had any trouble with the network, internet speed, etc. Since installing Win7, all the computers internet speed on the network will come to a crawl in 5-6 hours, pages will cease to load eventually. Re-booting the Netgear WGR614 v6 router solves the problem. This does not happen when the Win7 machine is off the network or before Win7 was installed. All patches, security updates are installed. Originally I thought it was the router dying out, tried a new Linksys one with even worse results. Didn't last 2 hours without a reboot. The netgear is only in G mode if that matters. This network/internet ran great for over a year before installing Windows 7. I have a 5th PC which is hooked directly to the modem so I know that it's not my ISP. Internet is fast when the other PC's can't even display the web pages. A reboot of the router will fix the problem but this is getting to be a pain. Anyone have any ideas? I'd appreciate any comments on this. If you need any other info, just let me know and I'll try to give it to you. I am on a cable internet connection.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

JoeyB,
---
Do have the DSL Modem setup in Bridge Mode and the Router Configured for PPPoE ??
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

JoeyB

Hi Rick, I have a cable modem, router is not set to PPPoE.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

JoeyB,
---
Yeah I didn't understand how you were connecting that 5th PC straight to the modem so that's why I asked. (LOL)
---
Let me read the router manual and look up something in the networking books.
---
Are you using Home Group or the regular Work Group method of networking ??
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

JoeyB

I'm going to try disabling IPv6 in Win7 and see if that's the problem. I guess it's actually the router that is messing up but only when Windows 7 is running. I'll report back if it helps solve the problem. Will be a while as I just had to reboot the router again. I hope I get this fixed because I really do like Windows 7. Programs run much faster than I anticipated.

Posted 4 years ago

JoeyB

Hi Rick, I'm fairly certain I'm using the regular workgroup method of networking. I disabled the network discovery service about a week ago hoping it would solve the problem. The 5th PC is actually a server which is hooked to a Linksys switch. Same switch the Netgear is hooked to.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

OK Great.
---
That will give me time also to go over some references that are chapters thick. :) ;)
---
Edit: We cross posted at same time. :)
Need a diagram of how everything is connected but can guess pretty well.
----
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

JoeyB

Okay thanks. Yes, regular workgroup connection. It says home group is 'ready to create' in the networking CP

Posted 4 years ago

pinguino1

Joey,
I don't know if this is your case but are you sharing and streaming between computers?
I had something similar, after a while the computers stared getting slower and slower. I disabled the streaming and the WMP sharing service. Now is running very snappy.

Posted 4 years ago

JoeyB

Hi Pinguino1. I have no streaming between the computers, only one share folder on each computer for moving files when needed. Network and internet traffic is quite low here. I disabled IPv6, and I'm waiting to see if that has any effect. I won't know for certain until tomorrow night but I'm not too optimistic about it. When the internet is about to slowdown or stop all together it's almost as if the router loses is ability to lookup host names. It seems sub domains go first, e.g. ad1.cnn.com, then top level domains fail to resolve a few minutes later. Very strange effect it has on the router. Also, some web sites will load as if they are mobile versions. Everything on the left as links and no images. I should say that without rebooting the router, the net/router or DNS function will come back if we wait approx 10-15 minutes. When this first appeared I thought my ISP's DNS servers where having trouble but after a few days and switching to OPenDNS, I realized it wasn't the ISP or the DNS servers. This happens with a new router also. One other weird fact, this does not effect online gaming if it's already being played. If my son is playing COD online, his ping is still excellent while the other PC's can't browse/lookup hosts or it's very slow. If he stops playing he can't lookup hosts either. Same thing if he is on runescape and playing. I'm thinking it's because the games don't use/need the DNS lookup as they already have a connection to the IP.. strange. BTW all the computer are clean, no unknown processes on any of them. This definitely has something to do with DNS function. A download already in session will get good constant MB/s speed... once a connection to the desired IP is made. I have not tried typing an IP directly into the address yet when the net bows out but I will try that next time it happens. I also switched everyones network adapter to use opendns servers without being assigned one from the router as I thought this was the problem at first, (the router's ablility in the DNS dept). Still the same results.

Posted 4 years ago

JoeyB

Hi raphoenix, Cable modem into Linksys 10 port switch, server into Linksys switch, Netgear router into Linksys switch. Rest of computers assigned IP's and plugged into Netgear router. Netgear is in DHCP mode and assigns IP's as expected after rebooting.

Posted 4 years ago

JoeyB

Still having DNS/web site trouble. Disabling IPv6 didn't have any effect. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

JoeyB,

That's an 8 port switch right??, not 10.
---
What happens if you pull the server off line for 4 or 5 hours ??
---
Complete system acts as if it's loosing it's IP lease but can't be ??

Posted 4 years ago

JoeyB

Yes Rick, it's an 8 port switch sorry. I could pull the server off for 4 or 5 hours but would rather not. Mail server and web sites. Don't think it's losing the lease to the ISP, server does great resolving host names when PC's on the network can't resolve anything. I'm quite at a loss on this. I just find it odd that one PC can bring down the DNS resolving of a network and I find it hard to believe that MS would not come out with a fix already if it's certain hardware conflicts. For now, I'm going to put the Win7 machine right to the switch and see what happens with everything. I'll keep you posted.

Posted 4 years ago

JoeyB

Thought I'd update everyone on the status. Updating the Netgear WGR614 v6's firmware to Version 2.0.19_1.0.19 has seemed to solve the problem. It's been 3 days since the firmware upgrade and no DNS issues with the network. The Linksys router, about a year and half old model, I tried earlier must have had older firmware too. Maybe a conflict with Win7 that needs updating. Thanks to all that replied, I appreciate it.

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.