How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Problem with unallocated space after XP install

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by savishypv
  • Latest reply from savishypv
  • Topic Viewed 3848 times

savishypv

Hi..

I have put this in the Vista section because I somehow think the problem is related to Vista.

I installed XP [clean installation] on my Dual Core, 80 GB HDD, 2GB RAM, 1.73Ghz laptop [Dell inspiron] that previously had Vista. Vista had been installed on a 60GB partition. While formatting it,it gave me an error message. So I simply deleted the partition and made a new one of 20GB size, under the assumption that I could make a new drive out of the remaining 40 GB later.

XP installed properly, I got my lappie working, and I tried to create a partition[using My Computer>Manage>Disk Management] by right clicking on the "unallocated space". But the right-click menu shows the create partition option as disabled!
How do I create a partition?

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

How many partitions do you have on the disk? There's a limit on the number of primary partitions you can have.

You might be able to create a new partition using the gparted livecd.

Posted 6 years ago

savishypv

I have C, D and E drives.

Posted 6 years ago

savishypv

hi,bouncing back this topic... can someone please have a look at this problem?

Posted 6 years ago

savishypv

Oh, and while I am on the topic, might as well provide some updates.. Installed Partition Magic, but it shows the whole of the 60GB[of which 20 GB I am using as C: ] as "BAD".. Dunno what the hell that means!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!