The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - problem with retrieving emails using pop3 account

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by DKS
  • Latest reply from DKS
  • Topic Viewed 699 times

DKS

G'day, I've recently switched across to Windows 8 and in the process, lost my access to my email account(POP3 ). Through this site, i've been able to resurrect it by directing my emails to my Gmail account.
However, is is possible to retrieve all my old emails or are they lost forever ? (:
Thanks very much

Posted 1 year ago

doctordeere

Were you accessing your POP3 account via HTTP or with an email client?
If via a client, which one, and was it configured for POP3 mode or SMTP mode?

Posted 1 year ago

doctordeere

Correction... IMAP, not SMTP.
It's early and I haven't had the required level of coffee.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

What are you using for e-mail?

Does your ISP also have web site access to your account?

Possible the old e-mails are still on your computer, just under a different folder set-up.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

DKS

Hi Doctor Deere, i've just checked my settings within Gmail. Under the section, POP download, it shows 1. Status POP is enabled. There is an option that says: Enable POP for all mail. But i haven't selected that as yet - maybe i should ?
Also, i currently have IMAP disabled. Should i enable that ? Thanks for the reply

Posted 1 year ago

DKS

Hi "ispalten" , before upgrading to windows 8, i was using windows mail. I belong to a PC user group, but when switching to broadband ,etc many years ago, went to a particular ISP connected with the PC user group and was able to keep the original email address. I now effectively get my emails sent to my Gmail account, which works well . Yes, my ISP would have web site access to my account. Interesting re the possibility of the old emails being in a different folder set up.
Cheers, David

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

Are all your past emails showing when you log into your gmail account (webmail)?
If they are then when you use a client like outlook or thunderbird, the emails will be downloaded.
Ensure you uncheck delete email from server when read. They will be lost for good.
If your previous machine was using a client and you have not backed up then your sent files are gone for good.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

DKS, it is possible that the e-mails were NOT deleted on your ISP's site. Check it to be sure.

I don't use Windows Mail, but I think in W8 the default from W7 was changed from Outlook? If so, the OLD Outlook would hold the location of your old e-mails? I think Outlook is still on your system though? Not sure, maybe someone else can direct you to it?

It doesn't sound like you lost access to your POP3 account, but lost access to OLD e-mails that were on your computer?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

DKS

Hi Vista Mike, yes have definitely unchecked "delete mail from server when read", so all okay there. I have got thunderbird on my computer, which enabled me to download my emails. Although after a while my "mail box quota" was too full. People were having problems sending me emails. Using gmail to get my emails seems to hae fixed that. all this happened after upgrading my existing computer to windows 8. It may be the way i've used the settings. Would outlook be a better proposition ? Sorry, bit of a novice with such matters :) David.

Posted 1 year ago

DKS

Thanks Irv, that sounds like some good advice. Might try those suggestions in the morning ( getting late here on the East Coast of Aust. :) ). Cheers, DKS,

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

DKS, I use Thunderbird, and I UNCHECK leave messages on server which is what I think you meant?

TB will also show you WHERE the e-mails are stored in SERVER SETTINGS under ACCOUNTS. Click BROWSE and go UP 3 levels. If you see more than ONE PROFILE, it is possible your OLD e-mails are in the other profile.

It might be here, where 'irv' is your USERID.

=============
C:\Users\Irv\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles>dir
Volume in drive C is OS
Volume Serial Number is 1C5C-DD5E

Directory of C:\Users\Irv\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles

10/29/09 02:41 PM <DIR> .
10/29/09 02:41 PM <DIR> ..
02/23/13 09:33 AM <DIR> d2tufje1.default
12/02/11 02:18 PM <DIR> dpt58nel.default
0 File(s) 0 bytes
4 Dir(s) 45,667,905,536 bytes free

C:\Users\Irv\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles>
========================

As you see above, I have 2, one from an OLD computer with old e-mails kept for archive.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

David, "mail box quota" means that it is FULL. ISP's usually limit the 'space' you can use on their servers. Either in MB's/GB's or number of messages. All that means is you have NOT removed the messages and there is no more space for new ones. I assume sending the e-mails to GMAIL removed them, but you might hit the same problem on GMAIL if you do not delete them.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

On the gmail server the limit is 10gb ( that is some email BTW ) However that includes attachments. Just txt or HTML adds up to nothing but word, powerpoint, excel, jpegs, video etc will soon eat into that in this world we are in.

I use TB as my default email client Outlook 2010 is secondary for other accounts.

And use this; http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ for total backup in Thunderbird ( 8 accounts )

In web gmail save the attachments to file and detach from the email and you will get some much needed space back on the server!

Mike

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

DKS

Hi all, thanks very much for the input. I think i'm on my way with all the above. It is starting to make some sense :) Cheers, David

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.