The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Problem with installing XP on a Vista machine

(61 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by Antman
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 17960 times

The Geek

I think I used power mode... it'll actually run in a command prompt window, so stuff will go wizzing by.

Hopefully this helps you... this has been one tough nut to crack!

Posted 7 years ago

Antman

Is it best to leave the computer alone while it is running the defrag command prompt? Can I still use my browser or shall I just leave it be?

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

It should be fine to use it as long as it's not too slow for you =)

Posted 7 years ago

Antman

Well, the good news is, it worked! Sort of...

After all the procedures I was granted a mighty 6.31GB by the shrink volume utility and this time the shrink actually worked. You mentioned that someone else kept shrinking by 8GB until he got what he wanted. If I want to try this, do I just try and shrink the main volume again and, if I do this, does it add the new shrink ammount to the 6.31GB I have already, or does it create a thiid partion?

Posted 7 years ago

Antman

Actually, forget that. It's now saying I have no available space for shrinking and I don't think I can face going through all that again. Is 6.31GB enough space to run XP and some VST software?

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

That actually should be fine... you can even install the applications onto your vista partition if you needed to save space.

I'm working on an article about how to resize the destructive way with gparted... it's no picnic either.

Dual-booting is easiest when you clean install...

Posted 7 years ago

Antman

Ok, to add insult to injury, the XP install is not working and I don't know why. I chose the partion I had made to install it on and everythiong seemed to be going well. It got as far as saying it needed to reboot to continue with the installation, and when it rebooted it got hung up on the 'verifying dmi pool data' screen. It's been stuck there for about twenty minutes so I've had to come into college to use another computer to seek advice. Any ideas what I can do?

Posted 7 years ago

Antman

I can clean install if needs be. Do I just format the drive from the boot menu somehow?

Posted 7 years ago

Antman

Right, I've managed to get back into Vista by repairing the startup with my Vista DVD. I've reformatted my XP partition ready for the next attempt. Any idea why I would have had that DMI problem?

Posted 7 years ago

thedudester

Didn't you say XP used to work on this computer?

I'm not sure what that error means, will have to look it up.

Posted 7 years ago

Antman

Yeah I used to run XP before I upgraded to Vista.

Posted 7 years ago

Antman

Sorry to keep on about this crap but I feel like I'm so close now. I've managed to sort out the boot problem with easybcd, but when the xp install continues I get an error which says:

Installation failed
I:\I386\asms. Error message:incorrect function

Fatal error
One of the components Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed. Incorrect function.

I Googled this and people seem to think it's a problem with the XP cd, but I've tried a few now and no dice. Others think it's a hardware issue but it all works fine on Vista. I'm gonna give this one more day of effort tomorrow then I'm chucking this PC out of the window.

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

Yeah, every bit of research I've done on that error message says the cd is the problem...

I suppose there's a possibility that XP doesn't like your cd-rom drive, and isn't able to use it... other than checking for some type of speed setting in the bios I'm really at a loss.

Posted 7 years ago

Antman

Well, I've given up for now. Thank you again for all your help in this matter. I'll borrow another XP CD from someone next week and give it one more try. I read about a way to install XP from DOS using a boot disk, so I guess I could try that too, but I probably won't bother. Will just have to wait semi-patiently for the drivers I need. Lame!

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost

Good luck! Sorry we couldn't help more.

Posted 7 years ago

Fittersman

defraging my drive didnt work, i still cant shrink my partition...

i still have a bunch at the bottom (kinda where your yellow blocks were in your picture, except mine are files of some sort) and none of the three programs will move them to the top. i really dont know what to do, ive been at this all day

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost

You can try and use the gparted method if you are brave enough...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....partition/

Posted 7 years ago

Fittersman

i havent got the cds of vista, all i have is a recovery dvd but that doesnt have the recover option, all it does is format the drive and make it how it was when i got the computer

i dunno if this helps answer my problem or not, but in perfectdisk when i click configuration - drive properties - excluded files there is one folder that is grayed out (so i cant change it). it is marked with an X and called System Volume Information. It has two files and an empty folder in it, SPP is the folder and MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase and tracking.log

when i went into C: and looked for these files i couldnt locate them, even with hidden files turned on

Posted 7 years ago

Fittersman

how do i get hibernation mode back now? i give up trying to shrink my partition, i should have enough room...

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost

You can re-enable it if you follow these steps:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ows-vista/

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.