SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Problem with hard disk drive?

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Guidez
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 460 times

Guidez

I recently read a How-To Geek article that talked about checking your drives for any problem, so I downloaded CrystalDiskInfo and it told me "Caution". Like you see in the pic, the "Reallocated Sectors Count" is at 100, and the threshold is 36.

Also note that my hard drive makes a sound sometimes. I couldn't describe it so I recorded 10 seconds of it and uploaded it here

What should I do?

I would appreciate any help.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Sorry couldn't hear anything from the link, but if the hard drive is making a clicking sound, it's maybe time to backup everything and replace the hard drive.

Posted 1 year ago

Guidez

You might have to put your sound up alot. If you're able to hear a fan than you should hear the noise. I'd just love not having to buy another drive and reinstall everything...

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Thanks a lot, pal! I turned up my sound and tried to listen to it, couldn't hear anything other than what sounded like white noise, then got blasted by loud music at the end. Not funny!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

The clicking sound does not necessarily indicate a problem. One of my external drives (a Maxtor) is clicking like hell since years. It it is a brave drive and always works.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

check this out

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

@whs "The clicking sound does not necessarily indicate a problem" I agree to some extent, put it's best to backup and test the hard drive just to be safe don't you think?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I have no argument with that.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Go to the disk manufacturer's web site. Most have an iso you can download and burn as an image to CD. You can then boot off the CD and test your disk. You should then be able to attempt repair. I know Seagate has a utility called Seatools for DOS. I have used it in the past. When it could not repair the disk it gave an error code to use when sending it back for a warranty claim, provided your disk is still under warranty. You can find all the info and procedures on the manufacturer's web site.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

Since your drive is a Seagate:
SeaTools : http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
Check warranty status of the drive: http://support.seagate.com/cus.....dation.jsp - infos required on the form are on the sticker on the drive.
'Reallocated Sector Counts' errors are covered under warranty. If Seatools can't repair that, RMA.
If it's still under warranty you can create a RMA to exchange it for a new one.
Needles to say, the 'new' one will be covered under the same warranty you have on this one, not a new warranty (but you can buy an extended warranty for the replaced hard drive and Seagate actually allows you to buy an extended warranty for the defective one even if it's out of warranty, then send it to RMA for an exchange).

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

+1 afuhnk...I just did that for two customers of mine. Seagate had the replacement disks out to me in 3 days for $9.95 + tax each. Standard shipping is free but it takes over a week to get the replacement.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

Yep yep.
As Tech and RMA supervisor, I'm dealing with that sort of issue on a daily basis.
Seagate has excellent service.
Plus, with the 9.95$ option you get advanced replacement, which means they send a new drive to you BEFORE you ship yours - allowing you to clone (or manually copy-paste if clone fails) the defective one to the new one before sending it back.
AND, also with the 9.95$ option, you get a pre-paid shipping label to return the drive. So you save on the shipping since it would usually cost more to send the unit yourself.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Seagate is top notch in every aspect. Those were the first seagate drives I have ever encountered that failed under 7 years old. I use nothing else but Seagate. I still have one from 2004 that works.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Unfortunately one of my seagates also hit the dust - after 4 years of loyal service.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

check to see if it is under warranty, then run Seatools for Dos.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.