How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Problem With External Hard Drive's AC Adapter

(9 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by kaara
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 7338 times

kaara
kaara

Hey, I'm a new member here and I have a problem I can't quite solve.

I have a Maxtor external hard drive (320Gb, just so you know) and I bought at the end of 2007. It's been fine and served me well until several days ago. I usually plugged the hdd to my laptop and switched it on only when I intend to access the data I've stashed inside it. One day, a friend of mine wanted to borrow the hdd and copy some things from it. I unplugged the thing and when I plugged it again, the hdd couldn't be switched on.

I've since deduced that the problem is with the AC adapter (I hope so, because if it's the external itself, I'll be damned). The light indicator wasn't lit after I switched on the main power source and the adapter made a quiet sort-of hissing noise. It heated up at one corner and when I switched off the power source, it made a sharp 'bzzt' sound. I'm not well versed in how adapters work but I think mine had short-circuited (for who knows what reason).

Here's my question; is there a universal place where can I find AC adapters compatible with my hdd?

I'm currently in Auckland, NZ and I can't seem to find one in this place. I bought the hdd back in Malaysia and it's near impossible for me to go back there. The one that they have here has a different DC output than the one on my hdd's specification.

New Zealand's DC output: 5V/12V-1.5A
My adapter's DC output: 5V/12V-2A

And to throw in another question; what will happen if I go stubborn and use the NZ adapter to replace mine? I heard that it'll burn up but I'm not sure. Can someone explain how the DC output works?

Thanks in advance!

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

It is always a good idea to use the original manufacturers equipment. Is there no place in NZ that sells Maxtor on the internet from where you could order an original? Or how about in the adjacent SE Asian countries or Australia. If the NZ adaptor is a Maxtor part, it will probably work given the small difference in Amp's. I doubt that the Maxtor disks in NZ are different to the ones sold in other places.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I have no idea what difference the adapter makes but if they do have a different voltage I wouldn't try it unless I was absolutely sure it wouldn't break the drive.
If Maxtor has a support phone number somewhere you could try calling them and asking if it would work.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

jd, the output voltage is the same (5 to 12V in both cases). There is a small difference in amperage (2.0 vs 1.5). The input voltage does not really matter because they all work from 100V to 230V and on 50 and 60 Hertz. Suggest we wait for our "expert" Lighthouse to take a shot at it. I have used "generic" adapters with multiple plugs on electronic devices (but not disks) in the past without any problems.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Firstly. Not all adapters have dual input voltage (100-240). So always check that. NZ use 230/240V (same as UK).
Secondly. Some have dual output DC (5 + 12 Volts) Some have just 12 Volts (with the 5 Volt regulator inside the ext. box)
Thirdly. Current matching is important, in as much as, if the adaptor does not produce sufficient current it will overheat/burn out.
It is not a problem to use an adapter with a higher current(amperage) than the origional.
Having said that, some origional adaptors are over specified for the device they come with. In which case you can use one with a lower amperage. But unless you have the proper gear to test this, I would not risk it. The biggest problem is the multitude of different plugs that are used to plug into the ext. box. You may have to cut the old one off and solder it to the new adapter cable.
I thank whs for his confidence in me :)

Posted 6 years ago

kaara
kaara

Thank you so much for all your advices. Since that I cannot risk anything happening to my hdd, I think I'll try calling Maxtor helpline or something to that effect.

whs, Lighthouse, jd2066; thanks for clearing that up for me. =)

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Sorry could not help more.

Posted 6 years ago

dsalter

have the same problem with a maxtor 3000 ls external hard drive but no help from the manufacture. am looking to various places to find a universal one or used one.

would appreciate any help for possible sources.

Thanks.

Don

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

http://www.google.com/products.....microsoft:*&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1 --- And there are 100 other sources on the web. Google "maxtor ac adapter".

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!