The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Problem when installing Ubuntu

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by dollar
  • Latest reply from Shkumbin
  • Topic Viewed 1264 times

dollar

I have 256 mb of ram in my old machine. But it shows 248 mb in system details.
Due to this reason i am not able to run Ubuntu(8.4) live cd (It's showing an error something like - minimum requirement is 256 mb) . Is there any solution for this ?

BTW : When i am installing Ubuntu i am not understanding what to select in Installation Options (Partition Selection). Can anyone please tell me about this ?

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

Most likely 8mb of your ram is used for video ram. I recommend checking NewEgg for a cheap stick. As long as it isn't a very old type of RAM, it shouldn't be very expensive.

As far as installing it, it really depends on what you want to do. Are you doing a dual boot? Is Ubuntu going to be the only OS on the hard drive? Are there multiple hard drives?

Posted 5 years ago

dudeFromSpace

Hi dollar,

If possible in anyway, buy some extra ram memory. Even if you do get it to work, it'll be slower than a snail in a bucket of sand. :D

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

if you want to get the ubuntu look and feel but use it on a system that is a bit slower you could try out xubuntu thats what i used on a system with 384mb ram and it ran nice and smooth on only a 400mhz processor

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

@dollar

jack7h3r1pp3r has a very good point. Xubuntu is very nice and you get a lot of the features from Ubuntu. I would still recommend spending a little money and buying some ram. You wouldn't have to upgrade to 2GB but I would have at least 512MB.

The installation of the Ubuntu based distributions is fairly simple once you know which selection to make. If it is going to be the only OS on the hard drive then I would just use the option that does everything automatically.

Posted 5 years ago

msbob

Xubuntu or Fluxbuntu (, I this this to be prettier) are what you're looking for.fluxbuntu

Posted 5 years ago

jimdays

I have Intel Pentium 4 cpu 2GHz 256 Ram and Ubunto 8.04 Live CD runs just fine. I also can delete files on my ntfs partition. Somewhere I read that I could NOT delete files on an ntfs partition with Ubunto, but I can delete these files with no problem. I think that is really great because the next time I get a virus that gives me the Windows blue screen, I'll just insert the Ubunto Live CD and start deleting viruses on the d and e partition. The c partition I will restore from Ghost DVD.

Posted 5 years ago

fastbullet

In the last 30 days I bought two 1GB sticks of 184 pin DDR (667MHz)for less than $30, total. Ram prices are currently cheaper than ever before.

Buy the RAM and be done with it.

Posted 5 years ago

Shkumbin
Shkumbin

Get Wibu 10(includes Ubuntu, n some interesting features).

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!