The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Problem Using nLite

(2 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by thomasino
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 2659 times

thomasino

I'm trying (using nLite) to create a custom, bootable XP install disc. My HP laptop runs Vista, but I'm trying to install XP as well (on a partition I've created) to create a dual boot option. My regular XP install disc that I purchased gives me an error message saying it doesn't find any hard disk on my system. This seems a common problem many run into, related to XP not having the drivers for the SATA interface used on newer notebooks. Long story short, I used nLite to create the custom install disc (having inserted the needed drivers)with no problems at all. However, whether I do a direct burn or create an ISO image file, I cannot boot from the CD. My boot order is set properly in the BIOS (boot from CD/DVD drive). The regular XP install disc which I purchased boots fine . . . but, as mentioned above, I get hung up with it cause it finds no hard drive. I'm trying to avoid purchasing an external floppy drive and going that route if at all possible . . . knowing that may not work either. Ug!! I need help from someone more knowledgeable than myself. Does anyone have any ideas as to why I can't boot from these custom CD's I've create with nLite? I notice Vista does some formatting of the blank disc before writing the files. Could that have anything to do with it?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Did you check this out http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....tallation/

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.