How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

Problem Statement Fill Out Form

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Enthusiast
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 1082 times

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would like to suggest developing a standard form for users to fill out when they have a problem.

Right now when someone posts a problem we spend a good amount of time trying to get the information we need to help the poster with his problem.

I think we should respond to a request with a form that will help us glean the information we need to effectively help the poster. This may also cut down on those instances where someone does what they can to help and the OP never returns. If the OP returns to fill out the form we can be sure they will stick it out to see the outcome.

If you think this may be useful, please participate in fleshing out the form so that it will be as useful as possible. I have begun throwing some questions out and here is what I have so far:

Please fill this form out as fully as possible.

Statement of the Problem:

Desired outcome:

Information (make & model) of my computer or equipment:

Link(s) to purchase and/or software downloaded:

Things I have tried and outcomes:

My level of experience in this area is: Beginner/Knowledgable/Expert
     (this will help us to match the responses to your level of knowledge)

Other information that may be helpful:
Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

Agree.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Enthusiast, 'Right now when someone posts a problem we spend a good amount of time trying to get the information we need to help the poster with his problem.'
This has been a problem, I believe there was some advice on the home page at one time. It is very frustrating, I know!
Common request;
'My computer does not boot, help!'

Should be a sticky coming up soon, will have a chat with Lighthouse and see what we can come up with. I think BB press does not support what you asking though.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My thinking is we grab the form from a sticked post maybe and post it as the first reply to the OP. I am not looking for some elaborate means of gathering the information, like a fill-out form. I just see it as a way to better help those coming to us with problems.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I do not like the idea as I think it would prevent a lot of folks from asking a question. Also some folks who really need help and would not know the answer to the questions and be daunted by it. Best to draw them out in a conversation as we now do.

Posted 1 year ago

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The way I see it, the question would already have been asked. This would give us a tool to gather the information necessary to best answer the question, without a lot of back and forth with the OP, sometimes spanning days.

Posted 1 year ago

nosparks

While something like this would help ALL the people that want to help the OP, it would only appeal to a very few OPs. There is an awful lot of questions posted that the OP could answer themselves with just a little searching on the internet. I think the biggest problem is actually laziness. If people aren't able to explain their problem it's doubtful they would be able to explain what they have already tried and results they got.

Xhi posted to this topic while I was typing and I agree, even though it some times seems like OP isn't even interested in helping them self.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I am with Xhi on this.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

I agree with Xhi also. Even questions such as make and model of computer are beyond some. Also things I have tried. Many have tried nothing and sometimes thats a good thing before they make their problem worse. Many here know what to ask the OP and if they come back with a reply then chances are you can work with them.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!