How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Problem on network between xp, vista and 7

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by jimakos05
  • Latest reply from jimakos05
  • Topic Viewed 543 times

jimakos05

Map of the network

Hello to everyone. I just found this site and I'm impressed.
In case this is the wrong forum I'm posting, i apologize and please any moderator/admin move it to the proper forum.
Above you can see a screenshot of the network.
For the last 5 days, I'm trying to setup this network and I'm facing problems. Not all the computers can access each other, and a 5th with windows xp can't even be seen or see other computers on the network.
AA1=Vista
AA2=Vista
AA3=Vista
AA4= win7
AA5=winXP
I followed this guide http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....and-vista/
and although when i press the "see full map" button on network and sharing center i can view the network as you can see (it's the same on all computers)the problem is that
AA1: does not have access to any of the computers.
AA2: has access to AA4
AA3: does not have access to any of the computers
AA4: has access to AA2

My modem/router is
ZTE ZXDSL 931VII

Is there anything i can do? because i can't understand what the problem might be.
Thanks in advance for your answers
PS: Sorry if it is already answered somewhere else, but i could not find it here (as i told you I'm new here in order to be sure that is not answered somewhere that i did not look.

Edit: Fixed the image link

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

It would be interesting to know the IP addresses of your devices. Go to "Network and Sharing Center", click on the link for your network connection, either "Local Area Network" or "Wireless Network", and click on "Details". Note the "IPv4 Address" and the "Access Route" values.

EDIT: And welcome to the forum!

Posted 1 year ago

jimakos05

All the computers were set to automatically obtain IP but now (and the problem is still the same), i gave them
AA1=192.168.1.11
AA2=192.168.1.12
AA3=192.168.1.13
AA4=192.168.1.14
AA5=192.168.1.15
I cannot find anywhere the "access route" you told me to note down. I forgot to mention that are the computers are desktops wired, apart from AA4 which has the option to be wireless but atm i'm using it wired also.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

All computers must have different Computer names and the SAME workgroup name. The default workgroup names are not the same over the different OSs

Posted 1 year ago

jimakos05

All the computers have different names (AA1,AA2 etc) and the workgroup on all computers is AA.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

What Xhi says is important. That's true.

But, if after checking the workgroup settings it still does not work: how did you set the manual IP addresses? If you set that directly from Windows I think it would be better to leave them automatic. Check the automatic IPv4 addresses, and the IPv4 Default Gateway (this is what I called Access Route, sorry for that):

Windows XP:
Select Control Panel from the Start menu.
Select Network and Internet Connections and then Network Connections.
Click the Local Area Connection icon under LAN or High-Speed Connection.
Click View status of this connection in the Network Tasks frame.

When the Local Area Connection Status window appears, click the Support tab.

Windows Vista:

Go to the "Network and Sharing Center", and click on the "View status" link. On Windows 7 click the link with the name of the network in the same area of the window:

And click on "Details":

Posted 1 year ago

jimakos05

Thanks for answering so fast.
I indeed set specific ip through windows. I can change it again to automatic. The default gateway an all machines the one that i set, is the routers ip 192.168.1.1. I saw that before changing the ip with the "ipconfig /all" command on cmd.

Posted 1 year ago

jimakos05

Update for my problem and maybe i found the solution?
What i think the problem is
My windows are greek. With the red letters i have translated what is written in greek. What i saw is that the vista computers as you can see and connect to two different networks, the AAnet and an unidentified one. The unidentified one is by default being connected as public network. When i change it to private network, then i can see and connect to the other computers of the network. Do you think that is the problem?
Also i cannot delete this network. What can i do so my computers stop connecting to that network?
Thank you
Edit: I forgot to say that apart from AA4 that is a laptop and have wireless adapter and an ethernet one, each of the other 3 computers has only one network adapter. Also i'm not saying anything about the 5th one(AA5 with winxp) because atm it's not so important to connect the 5th one on the network.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!