Problem logging in Windows

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by helpito
  • Latest reply from helpito
  • Topic Viewed 736 times

helpito

Hi:

I hope you can help me.
First that all, I’m running Windows Vista 64 bit.
The problem I’ve is that I can’t log in Windows. Just before I should see my different accounts icons, my computer gets freeze. In fact, it’s not the first time it happens, but all the previous occasions, I logged in safe mode and restore my system to a created restore point and all worked.
But this time, logging in safe mode with networking (from there I’m writing) and trying to restore system, it tells me that: “No restore points have been created…”. So, for some reason the computer has erased all my restores points. When I try to create another one, at System properties windows, the tag System Protection doesn’t appear. I don’t know if maybe it’s because I’m in safe mode but anyways the fact is that I can’t restore my system.
So, I’m trying to restore my startup for first time but when I reboot, my only 3 options are those of same mode, there is not any option about restore startup. I booted from my System Recovery Disc (who came with the laptop) and after choosing the language, I only get 2 options: Delete all files in the computer and install Windows from zero and Reinstall windows putting my files in c:\backup but it says that it’s probably I will need to reinstall all my softwares. So, in brief, there isn’t a restore startup option.
Thank you very much for any kind of help.
Ari

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I would say that the first order of the day is to secure your user data to an external device. For that you can use a live Linux CD like this option.

If you are not comfortable with Linux, post back - there are other options.

Next, check on your recovery CD whether you can find the 'Startup/repair' option. See whether you can fix things with that.

But if everything fails, you may be facing a reinstall. Just make sure you have your user data in a safe place.

Posted 1 year ago

evanderv
evanderv

You can get into Safe Mode? If so, have you tried looking at your event logs? You may not see anything because it froze and nothing may have gotten written but its worth a try. Have you added any new software before this happened? This could be a driver issue.

Posted 1 year ago

helpito

Hi whs:

Well, I've never used Linux, but also that link talks about Windows 7, I'm using Windows Vista.

About the recovery CD, as I said in my question, when I reboot the system and load the recovery CD, I only have 2 options to reinstall Windows or Install from zero, but ANY option of start up repair.....

Thank you!

Posted 1 year ago

helpito

Hi evanderv:

Yes, I'm in safe mode with networking.

I have no idea where to look for the event logs and how that could help me to log in Windows normally...

I didn't install nothing special and it's not the first time this happens, but it's the 1st I can't restore a created point.

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

You might try restarting your pc, tapping F8 and on the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

Posted 1 year ago

helpito

Well, the news are that now I'm logged normally .....
I followed these steps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
My services are all ok. About my startups, I enabled all EXCEPT 4 that were suspicious at once, manufacture unkown and one of these files it's named: winlogon.exe with a file name full of letters and numbers.

So, one of these startups was causing the problem, now they are disabled.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!