The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Problem installing new SATA hard drive

(2 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Coffeegeek
  • Latest reply from MetrotekGeek
  • Topic Viewed 1647 times

Coffeegeek

I've not installed a new internal hard drive before and hoped it would be a bit easier. I've taken the old internal SATA out, reinstalled new Maxtor SATA 160GB. Turn on machine which comes up to black screen w/ option F2 or F12 (Bios I believe). I go into Bios and see the drive is listed. How do I restore what was on previous SATA I just took out which I backed up using Acronis True Image 10? I put this on my external hard drive and also on CD ROM. I changed the boot order 1. CD ROM and 2. SATA drive....nothing seems to work. I do have another CD with Windows XP which I can try, but my first choice to to completely restore the image that was on machine which I did with Acronis. I hope this is making sense to someone out there that can assist. This is someone elses computer who did not provide a boot disc or restore disc. Thanks ....

Posted 6 years ago

MetrotekGeek
MetrotekGeek

The problem with restoring a backup on a new system is you need an OS just to get the backup software running. What kind of backup did you run with Acronis?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!