The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Problem installing download.

(18 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Roberto1
  • Latest reply from Roberto1
  • Topic Viewed 5312 times

Roberto1

I would like to get hold of the free photo editing programme Paint.net.
Some time ago I downloaded and tried to install version 3.10 but the installation failed. I now have paint.net v 3.10 in my "add or remove programmes" page but the programme will not work, the programme uninstaller will not work and Mcafee quick cleaner cannot locate the programme.
I have now been trying for weeks to get version 3.22. It downloads OK and the file extracts but every time I try to install it I get "error opening file for writing" or "Error launching installer" and I wonder if this may be connected to the previous failed installation.
Can anyone please offer any help?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Try getting rid of it with Revo Unistaller (Free)

Posted 6 years ago

Roberto1

Thanks for Revo - that worked fine and the old version remnant is now gone.
Unfortunately I am still getting "Error launching installer"
:( Help still needed I`m afraid.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Try downloading it from here. You may have a corrupted copy
http://www.filehippo.com/download_paint.net/

Posted 6 years ago

Roberto1

Thanks again. I`ve tried that but still getting the same message.
I think I must have downloaded Paintdotnetsetup.exe a dozen times recently but always with the same result when I try to install.
Perhaps I should wait a few weeks and try again!

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Sounds silly, but try downloading it with another browser

Posted 6 years ago

Roberto1

Well, at least there is a change. Firefox gave me "error launching installer". Now, with IE7 I get "Paint.NET set"up Front-end has encountered a problem and needs to close"
I shall give up for now & think about it again tomorrow : it can`t be worth losing sleep over it :)

Thanks again for trying.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

You may need to update your version of the .NET framework. Install this and try Paint.NET again.

http://www.microsoft.com/downl.....laylang=en

Posted 6 years ago

Roberto1

Very strange! That won

i
ve looked at the Microsoft "help" page but there is no way I can use their suggestions. Between trying Paint.Net over some time I have downloaded a number of other things without difficulty, so it seems not to be a major problem, and I don
w
s law again!

Posted 6 years ago

Roberto1

Sorry, I can`t seem to get the "edit post" system to work but I guess my meaning was reasonably clear in my post a few minutes ago.
(Just in case - I was trying to say that I was getting similar problems downloading .Net framework)

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

What was the exact error you got when trying to install the .NET Framework?
Also what version of Windows do you have?
If it's Windows Vista then .NET Framework 2.0 is already installed.
If it's Windows XP you should go to Add/Remove Programs in control panel and check if the .NET framework 2.0 is already installed.
If it is that would account for the problem trying to install it again. Also would mean the problem installing Paint.NET is that the .NET Framework 2.0 install is corrupted. In that case just click the .NET Framework 2.0 Entry and click Change/Remove and then select the repair option.

Posted 6 years ago

Roberto1

Hello jd2066. I

<

t download it then as I was still trying to work out how to use it!

Any further thoughts would be welcome.

Posted 6 years ago

Roberto1

I seem to have lost most of the post: I`ll start again.

I have Winxp/sp2.
When trying to install I get "MS.NET framework 2.0 has encountered a problem during setup. Setup did not complete correctly"

Net.2 is installed & Iassume it was pre-installed as it is quoted as being last used 09/03/2006 which is shortly afted I got the computer from Dell and was still trying to wok out how to use it.

When Itry to repair or uninstall it from Add/remove progs.,or with Revo uninstaller Iget the same message as above followd by "The following error occurred during setup. Patch package could not be opened, Verify that the patch packege exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package"

Further thoughts welcome!

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I'm not sure what else to say on that. I'll have to search Google and see.
I think I do know why you are having problems with your posts.
It appears instead of an apostrophe (Key: ', normally by the enter key on US/English keyboards) you are using a backtick (Key: `, normally by the letter one key on US/English keyboards)
This forum currently has a bug when using two or more backticks that can cause the post to be messed up when edited and sometimes when displayed.

Edit: Fixed incorrect punctuation description that taybay noticed (Post with correction is the message right below this one).
I had done the post in a bit of a hurry and didn't check that I used the correct word.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Just a quick thing to make it less confusing: that's an apostrophe, not a comma. But you knew that. =)

Posted 6 years ago

Roberto1

You are exactly right about the backtick and the apostrophe. You can tell that I know nothing about typing or keyboards, but we live and learn :)

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Ok, on the problem, it appears somehow the install of .NET Framework 2.0 got corrupted and that is why programs like Paint.NET that use .NET Framework 2.0 won't install.
I searched for the error you got when running .NET Framework 2.0 and found the topic at http://www.microsoft.com/commu.....c=&p=1
It links to the Windows Installer Cleanup tool at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
Just download the program and use it to remove .NET Framework 2.0 and then install .NET Framework 2.0 again.
Hopefully after that the .NET Framework 2.0 should work and then you can install and run Paint.NET.

Posted 6 years ago

Roberto1

Brilliant! It worked.
I did have a few bad moments though. After downloading and running the program, .Net framework 2.0 still showed up in add/remove programs, but the new download went ok. So di the download of Paint.NET.

Thanks to all concerned for their help

Bob

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!