How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Problem editing User Startup list

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Xhi
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 533 times

Xhi
Xhi

A Vista computer with One administrator user, named "New Administrator", and 3 limited user accounts.

Trying to edit Startup files using either CCleaner or msconfig from a limited account. It will not let me edit the startup files.

If I run either program "as Administrator" User Account Control (UAC) comes up and asks for the "New Administrator" Account password. The password is blank and I enter it. However it then only gives me the "New Administrator" accounts startup list not the limited users startup list to edit.

Question: How to edit the Users Startup list??

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@ xhi, Maybe something in this link can help you. Haven't needed to do what you are asking.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/.....517,00.asp

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Has the Real Built-in Administrator Account been ENABLED ??

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

@Warlock: Looks good, but naturally I'm looking for a free solution. ;)

@raphoenix: No but I can do that. I'll give it a try.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

I know I was suggesting the article, under the download. I try not to pay either:)

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

@raphoenix: Using the real Administrator account makes no difference, unless there is something I'm missing.

@warlock: I know I can do it by elevating the linited user account to administrator using either "New Administrator" or "Administrator", then demoting it, but was wondering if there was another way.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

There might be something in Group Policy that you could fix it with if the Vista Edition has Group Policy in it.

Run gpedit

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

It's Vista Home premium. No Group Policy editing.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Xhi, see if this will help http://www.vistax64.com/tutori.....sable.html

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Those are the methods I've tried, but they are not allowed in a limited account. As soon as you use Run as Administrator and enter the password then the Administrator accounts startup items are there and not the users.

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen
Kelen

Autoruns , Run as admin, and give it a moment to populate, select what user to edit form the User menu at top.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Great I'll give that a try here in a minute or three.

Edit: It's too confusing for me. I think my solution is to simply temporarily set each user to administrator do what i need and set them back.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.