SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Priorities in Task Scheduler (Windows 7)

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Waterman
  • Latest reply from Waterman
  • Topic Viewed 968 times

Waterman

My excel macros are processing data and they run very much slower when run at set times in Task Scheduler that when run manually.
Can anyone enlighten me on why that would be, and how I might be able to get Task Scheduler to run them faster?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Set to Run with Highest Priority and Uncheck mark only if computer is idle.

Posted 1 year ago

Waterman

Answer accepted and actioned. However there is no change to performance.
Also tried setting Priority to 4 as per
http://bdbits.wordpress.com/20.....-priority/
but again, no change to performance (Excel run via Task Scheduler is about 10x slower than manual run )
Must be doing something wrong!
Any more suggestions?

Posted 1 year ago

Waterman

By way of further information, having started the run via Task Scheduler, if I then manually click on the excel window it recovers to run at full speed.
Maybe something to do with focus??

Posted 1 year ago

Waterman

I have now realised that it is the Windows 7 Task Scheduler which is causing the problem (I never had this issue with Windows XP Schedule Tasks).
Having tried an alternative scheduler the problem disappears and the excel file now runs just as fast when scheduled as when run manually.
I am now using the System Scheduler from Splinterware.com.
Result!

Posted 1 year ago

Waterman

Finally, I should add that my excel macro files are running in Excel 2000 on Windows 7.
Although Excel 2000 is no longer supported, I have experienced no problems running files daily over last 2 years.
I have tried subsequent versions of excel, but they are all far too slow for my processing tasks.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.