How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

printer takes for ever to print - HELP

(112 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by bg
  • Latest reply from bg
  • Topic Viewed 58141 times

bg
bg

i am running windows vista home premium with ms word 2003 on my new hp wireless laptop. my printer is attached to my desktop. when i try to print a document on the laptop, it takes forever for the print dialog window to come up. during this time i get this message, Microsoft Office Word: The printer has not yet responded, but the MS Office program my be able to proceed without the printer information. Do you want to wait for the printer? Yes or No. after clicking on Yes, it still takes a long time for the printer dialog window to appear. when it finally does appear i click on Print and wait another 1 to 2 minuets. HELP

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Printer sharing can be long. How much RAM do you have on your laptop?

Posted 5 years ago

bg
bg

whs, i have 3072 MB of ddr2 memory with a 2.1 Ghz amd turion 64x2 mobile processor with 512KB+512KB L2 Cache. the 160 GB 5400 rpm hard disk has approx 100 Gigs of free space on it. all of the non essential services have been disabled, the start up menu has only a few items enable it it all of the other performance tweaks have been done as suggested by Black Viper on his website.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I hope, in that case, you didn't disable "Print Spooler".

Posted 5 years ago

bg
bg

no, i left it set to automatic

Posted 5 years ago

bg
bg

the printer has acted this slow ever since i installed it. let me clairfy - i originally installed the printer directly to the laptop while my desktop was being serviced. then when i got my desktop back i set it up with a wireless router. i uninstalled the printer from my laptop and installed it to my desktop and set it to be shared over the network. i didn't do any of the services and performance tweaks until today. like i said this problem has existed all along. it seems as if ms word on the vista laptop just has a hard time locating the printer. i don't know if this is a word problem or a vista problem.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

You certainly are not resource constrained. I agree with Lighthouse - there must be a function you have disabled. Btw: with all this RAM you have, disabling start-up services makes little sense (except for the real bum ones - if you absolutely must).

Posted 5 years ago

bg
bg

like i said, this was going on before disabling any functions.

Posted 5 years ago

bg
bg

here is something interesting. i just checked my office 2003 and it has SP3. then i clicked on the Help tab in word and choose Detect and Repair and clicked Start. a window came up that told me it was checking word and then reconfiguring it. when it finished i tried to print a one word document. when i hit print the printer dialog window never came up at all this time but it did print exactly 70 seconds later ( i used a digital timer). so what is you opinion on this?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

BG,

Believe you have duplicate Full copies of Print Drivers installed and laptop is becoming confused.

A correct way to install a printer on a wireless network is to install it to the laptop (over) the wireless connection from the machine connected to the printer. When your laptop connects to the machine connected to the printer, normally the machine will download some drivers across the wireless network to your laptop the first time it connects so you have only one (partial) copy of print drivers in the laptop and then the laptop knows to go wireless fast to use the shared printer there after.

This is an (Awkward) post so post back if you don't understand what I'm trying to convey.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

bg
bg

i just want to go ahead and thank all of you great guys for trying to help me out but this is a solution in progress so here is some more information. i have now determined that it is not vista or my computer per say that is causing the slowness - it is ms word 2003. i just opened an excel 2003 worksheet, clicked on print and it printed it in exactly 18 seconds. so, word is doing all kinds of funny things: printing slow, running a virus scan which is very very slow everytime you open a document, and still taking a long time to open documents even after the virus scan has finished. also, sometime when you open a document a warning message appears as stated in the beginning of this post that the printer has not yet responded - even though i have not hit the print button.

Posted 5 years ago

bg
bg

raphoenix, just received your answer after i finished my last post. will give your suggestion a try in about 1 to 2 hrs - have to go out to dinner right now. will advise later how your suggestion works out.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

bg,

Reminder: Remove those original print drivers from the Laptop BEFORE attempting my suggestion.

Also running an Anti-Virus program in REAL TIME while trying to print over a wireless connection is a real disaster. No wonder the laptop won't print quickly. Didn't know you were doing that.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

bg
bg

raphoenix, i've been giving this some thought. if what you are suggesting is the problem, then why does ms office 2003 excel & power point print perfectly with no problems or delays? it seems to me that the problem lies inside ms 2003 word. also, if an anti-virus program running is a problem then how do you look up documents on the internet and print them without the danger of getting a virus. or do you constantly have to switch your anti-virus on and off?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

You can set your antivirus to check everything "incoming" but NOT check stuff "outgoing". The difference in your Excel and Word timings might be the size of the documents - might be. It's like with outgoing mail documents that have large attachments. The security suite can sometimes take quite some time to inspect them.

Posted 5 years ago

bg
bg

whs - i have my anti virus set for incoming only and the "check for virus in ms office docs" is unabled. the size of these documents in power point and word are only one word long (i.e. - if you open the documents the only thing written on the page is "test" ). the excell document is only one page but it is full of data. so here are the current print times: excel - 18 sec. power point - 50 sec. word - 120 sec. here is some more interest things about word: when you click on print sometimes after 13 sec. you get the messagae "The printer has not yet responded....do you want to wait? If you click on Yes, then after 66 sec. has passed at the bottom of the word page in one of the information bars it reads "Word is preparing to background print" and after a total of 120 sec. after hitting the print button, it finally prints. If you click on No after getting "The printer has not responded .....do you want to wait" message then you get another message that says "Word cannot print. There is no printer installed".

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I have Word 2007. In Word Options > Advanced > Print there is a checkbox for "print in background". If Word 2003 has something similar, you may want to uncheck this - if it was on, which is default in W2007.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

bg,

My Opinion Only:

Configure and Run your Anti-Virus program (Manually) as a Maintenance Program at the end of the day just as you would run an Anti-Spyware program.

Unless you are hanging around some pretty "shady" sites with malious Macros embed in Word, Excel, etc., documents and download the items, then you are not apt to get a virus.

(DISCLAIMER) I realize that each must run their own system withn their own confort level.

Are you by chance using AVG Anti-Virus ??

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

bg
bg

raphoenix: i am using norton anti-virus 2008 and nothing else. this morning i have been making up new one word documents, saving them, and then printing them. i am not getting virus scans on these new documents. i did go in and uncheck the "print in background" box in word, excel, & power pt.
after doing that the print time for excel was still 18 sec. - the print time for power pt. went down from 50 sec. to 35 sec. - and the print time for word went down from 120 sec. to 100 sec. (still way too slow). i guess i am at the point of disconnecting my vista wireless laptop from the network, uninstalling the printer software on it, and then reconnecting to the network and see if it can find the drivers and info that it needs from my desktop on its own. does this sound like the correct procedure to you?
best regards, Bill G

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

bg,

This is cut and paste from my post above. Read completely.

A correct way to install a printer on a wireless network is to install it to the laptop (over) the wireless connection from the machine connected to the printer. When your laptop connects to the machine connected to the printer, normally the machine will download some drivers across the wireless network to your laptop the first time it connects so you have only one (partial) copy of print drivers in the laptop and then the laptop knows to go wireless fast to use the shared printer there after.
This is an (Awkward) post so post back if you don't understand what I'm trying to convey.

Reminder: Remove those original print drivers from the Laptop BEFORE attempting my suggestion.

Before doing anything, DISABLE Norton Startup in Config file and also DISABLE Noton Autostart in Services.

Reboot and make sure Noton is (NOT) running ANYTHING, ANYWHERE for right now.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!