The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

printer takes a long time to print

(15 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by jaynel78
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 13653 times

jaynel78

hello, my printer takes forever to print once you click the print button. it will scan and copy without hesitation, but it takes abt 5 mins for one document to print. im running vista...thanks for any help in advance.

Posted 4 years ago

studio
studio

Hi there jaynel78 and welcome to HTG.
Could you please give some more information, like is it a network printer, or a plug into USB port printer. Also the product number of the printer would also be nice.

Have you tried going to the manufacturers website and see if there is a driver update for the printer?

Regards

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Hi jaynel78 and welcome.
A little help required, printer in use (make, model etc) would help.
First thing to look at: is it usb or wireless.
Edit: studio has asked the same question!

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

jaynel78

hello, yeah ive updated the drivers after doing a total removal...its an epson nx400 (print copy scan) its hooked up directly to the pc via usb cable. i replaced the cable last week. it it puzzling to me because the copy and the scan function normally....but printing takes 5mins or so

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

In 'print quality' is it set to high/photo?
Set it to normal and try again

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

mfletch
mfletch

Did you install the easy print when you installed the drivers?

This puts the printing in queues so it waits before it prints,

If you just install the basic driver it will print straight away

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

I've got a Canon MP470 and it too takes forever to print. I've had it attached under both Vista and W7, both x64 versions. Scanning it a little faster, but there is still a delay, but that it seems is due to the bulb warm-up.

Printing, even another document, has a good delay from the time I tell it to print and it actually prints. In my situation, I have the PREVIEW set, and that appears within a fairly short time. Click print, and there is a delay, then the printer sounds like it is moving the head a few times, picks some paper, and then yet another delay?

I have complicated this some myself. There are some settings that could I guess speed it up? For instance, I have it printing in REVERSE order, last page first so the tray has the documents in the correct order. This means the document has to be sent to the printer and tell the printer it is done. Since it is also shared, I am using the spooler vs. direct feed.

Any of these settings set on your printer? I also wonder if the fact that the drivers are 32 bit and I'm running 64 bit have anything to do with this?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

jaynel78

hey mike, i checked...it was set to normal, so i set it to draft to try...same think

Posted 4 years ago

jaynel78

at first i had easy print, but i stripped it all off...its just the basic print and scan drivers no extras and its still slow to print...i forgot to mention it used to print normally...but one day it just started taking 5mins to print...thanks everyone for your help

Posted 4 years ago

studio
studio

Ok, as was said up somewhere, there may be a setting somewhere that has been changed to spool the document first. Also, there is a setting somewhere (don't know where right now) telling it to print right away or to spool the document completely first. Select the first option
@mike - great minds think alike (this isn't the first time, and in the same min!)
see if this works

Posted 4 years ago

jaynel78

@ studio- i changed the setting it takes even longer to print now...but i did notice someting...i have word 2007 and when i clicked print it says connecting to the printer at the bottom, it takes abt 4 mins to establish the connection, then the 5 mins to print...thanks agn guys

Posted 4 years ago

jaynel78

any more suggestions...anybody, thanks in advance

Posted 4 years ago

studio
studio

I don't think that this is the problem, but is it possible that your USB cable is broken. I know that it works for scanning but it might pay to just try and replace the cable.

Posted 4 years ago

mfletch
mfletch

Can you double check you have removed the easy print

Plus try removing all the epson nx400 software and download new {just the driver}

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Try another USB port if you have one. Also, if you can, remove all USB devices you do not use, see if that helps.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.