The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Printer sharing - Windows 7 and Vista

(16 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mrmikey
  • Latest reply from mrmikey
  • Topic Viewed 550 times

mrmikey

I have 2 Windows 7 PCs and one Vista. There is a Kodak 3200 printer connected to the desktop W7 via USB. I am trying to get the W7 laptop and the Vista desktop to see the printer through a WIFI network. I have used the How-To Geek procedure and it gets to the "add printer" step and nothing. Same result on both units: No Printer Found. The "host" is hardwired to the network and the other 2 are WIFI.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

mrmikey, hi and welcome.

Have you installed the printer software on all machines?

Posted 1 year ago

bigp-london

I have seen this on some Kodak printers that are wireless ready.
the solution is to add the printer manually.
you will need to see what the IP address of the printer is from the printer itself (select maintenance, tools, network, print network settings)

on your PC, go to the printer section and add printer
when the system does not find any network printers - click on manual enter information
enter the ip address

that should do the trick

Posted 1 year ago

mrmikey

I need more detailed instructions on how to find the IP address. Where do I go to get the commands: maintenance,tools, network, print network settings?

Posted 1 year ago

mrmikey

Hi vistamike, I have not installed the Kodak software on all the machines. The Vista HP desktop used to work with the printer connected to the W7 Gateway desktop without Kodak software installed anywhere except the Gateway W7. I am hoping that using the manual procedure from bigp-london will do the trick. If not I will install the software (If I can find the disc!)

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

If you can't find the disc you should be able to download the software off of Kodak's website.

Posted 1 year ago

mrmikey

The Kodak software is installed on the Vista HP desktop and "add printer" will not automatically find the printer connected to the W7 Gateway desktop. I guess I need to know how to find the IP address so I can find it manually.

Posted 1 year ago

mrmikey

Still no luck! If the printer is connected by USB and not on the network (it is not a network printer), will it still have an IP address? This configuration used to work when we were in our old house. The only difference is that in the old house, everything was connected to a wireless router by internet cable. Now the printer host is hardwired to a wireless router and the HP Vista is connected via WIFI.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I have my printer set up like this. All computers are running Windows 7 so the images may be a little different for your Vista PC.

Go here to see the directions: http://imgur.com/a/7nLdT

Posted 1 year ago

mrmikey

I TRIED IMGUR.COM SETUP AND INSTALLED THE KODAK SOFTWARE I DOWNLOADED FROM THEIR SITE. STILL CANNOT FIND THE PRINTER. PRINTER WORKS FINE LOCALLY FROM THE HOST (GATEWAY W7), BUT CANNOT DETECT THE PRINTER FROM EITHER NETWORK PC.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Have you set the printer to be shared on the network on the host machine? Next time I boot to windows I will look and see how I set my two printers up. One each installed on two hardwired desktops and a third lappie on wi-fi with no printer. Each machine has access to both printers.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

Are all the computers in the same workgroup?

Right Click My Computer --> Properties --> It should say workgroup: _________

Make sure all computers say the same thing.

Posted 1 year ago

mrmikey

All the computers are in the same workgroup and the host computer is setup with all the sharing options selected.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

My one host for a printer is Windows 8, the other is a windows 7 & 8 dual boot. Besides having the printer set up for sharing in Homegroup go Control Panel > Devices and Printers. Right click on printer and choose printer properties. Make sure the printer is set up for sharing in there as well, making sure Render Print Jobs On Client Computers is checked. It should be similar on windows 7.

Posted 1 year ago

mrmikey

I GIVE UP!!!!!

Posted 1 year ago

mrmikey

I'm back! Still no luck, but I have pictures. See the following:http://imgur.com/gallery/ej195/new

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!