The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Printer sharing W7/XP

(3 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by bennate
  • Latest reply from bennate
  • Topic Viewed 1016 times

bennate

I am trying to share a printer on my new W7 quad m/c with an old pentium XP Pro. I've followed all your instructions and it falls over at the very final hurdle by failing on the XP m/c to recognize the driver on the W7 m/c. Both m/cs see each other. No pw option is selected. The printer was connected to the XP m/c which has the original driver on it. I downloaded the x64 universal driver from HP's download site onto the new m/c and it works fine on the W7 m/c. I've tried all the name options but still get the msg on the XP m/c saying it doesn't have the correct driver installed even though a working driver is installed.

Posted 5 years ago

bennate

I have also tried installing the W7 printer driver on the XP m/c and still get the same error message.

Posted 5 years ago

bennate

I have now solved this problem. You need to download, unzip but not install the W7 32bit driver on the W7 m/c and point to the unzippied driver folder when adding the x86 driver via the process outlined on this site. I also installed the 64bit driver on the XP m/c and pointed at that when adding a network printer there.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.