The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Print an Excel Column to Labels

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by DanDeMarco
  • Latest reply from moreeg
  • Topic Viewed 579 times

DanDeMarco

I use AutoCAD 2000 for drafting. I also use Excel 2007 for the bill of materials within the AutoCAD drawing. One of the problems we have is being able to track our materials in the warehouse and one of our solutions would be to print the assigned part number onto labels that we can peel and stick to each part.

Heres my problem. Can I print out a single column of part numbers that are within an Excel spread sheet to labels? If I can do this, I will not have to purchase an entirely new program and be forced to enter in every part number by hand again (I say again because I already did this within the Excel spread sheet).

Please Help

Posted 1 year ago

moreeg

Hi Dan (and welcome to HTG)

There is an MS Office function that is specially built for exactly this type of thing. It involves using the Excel data you already have with the "Mailings" capability in MS Word. In the Word Mailing function you can select "Labels" as your output medium and choose the type of label sheet you are using and then select the Excel worksheet as your input data. Load the label sheets in your printer and start the print from Word and you should be all set. I'm exaggerating the simplicity a bit - there will be some fiddling around - but I believe this is the best way to go.

Give it a try and come back with any questions - we'll be happy to try to resolve any problems.

Posted 1 year ago

DanDeMarco

I can get to the mail merge option within word and I have a check by each box on the parts number list. When I say "OK" all that is typed in the labels is <<Next Record>>. Unfortunatly my records are not merging into the labels. Is there something I am missing here? I tried to use the wizard to help me with this and it takes me to the exact same condition. Boxes checked but no insert.

Posted 1 year ago

moreeg

Ok - Let's go through the wizard - but before you do make sure that your list in Excel has a column header e.g. Part_Number - this will be used as a reference during the merge. Here's what I do and see ....

On a blank Word document I click on Start Mail Merge and click on Step by Step Wizard
In the side bar that appears I click on Labels and then continue

On the next side bar screen I click on Label Options and this will bring up a pop-up where you define the dimensions of your label sheet. If you are using a known brand of labels it might be in the label list - you'll need to find the particular code for the sheet that you have and Word will organise it for you. If you are not using a common brand of sheet you can define it yourself by clicking on New Label and entering the appropriate dimensions

Once that's done and you click next you should see the label outlines on the document

Click on "use an existing list" and then Browse to call up your excel spreadsheet. Select the relevant sheet from the list of sheets in the excel file and it will show you each of your labels with a check mark next to it. Note the headers in this window - you should see "Part_Number" as the header. If you see all your part numbers click on Okay

This will put <<Next Record>> in each label area.

Click on next-Arrange your labels

Click on "More Items" and it should show you "Part_Number" click on Insert and close. Then, in the same side bar click on Update all Labels. This will populate all label areas with "Part_Number"

Click on Preview and you should see the contents of your excel populate the labels.

"

(I used a list of tv shows I copied and pasted into Excel for demo purposes only so ignore that)

If you do click on Complete the merge and then print.

If you chose the right Label dimensions the printer should place each part number correctly.

Give this a try and if you get hung up on any of the steps post back.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.