How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Previously working Sony program suddenly not working on Windows 7 hp

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by onestepawayfromarmageddon
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 464 times

onestepawayfromarmageddon

Hello everyone,
Merry Christmas. If anyone can help with any of the following, it would be much appreciated.
Am experiencing problem with Sony Digital Voice Editor (version 3.3.1.11240) in Windows7, 64bit system. DVE is an application which allows me to download audio recorded files from my hand-held Sony ICD-PX820 recorder to my HP DV7 notebook. The Windows 7 Home premium (service pack 1) I am using came packaged together on the HP when I bought the notebook.

A bit of history: have been using Sony DVE (both in its earlier and current (updated) forms) for over 4 years now, both with my current ICD-PX820 recorder as well as a previous older Sony recorder. Have also been using both the DVE (and said recorders) on both this current notebook (HP), as well as previously on my old notebook, a Dell Vostro. I have not had any major problems to date.

Five days ago, when I tried to open the DVE application, a message immediately pops up: “Digital Voice Editor has stopped working”, followed by “A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available”. – no way to access the program at all, not even to troubleshoot.

The last time I used the program was on December 9 (and as always, it had been successful). The time before that was on Dec 7 (same, no problems). The time before that was November 25. As you can see from this, I use the program regularly on this notebook.

Thinking maybe it was just a slight glitch (as sometimes happens with Windows), I turned off machine and on again. Then, tried to open program. Same result.

So just to summarize, a few things are clear from what I have told you above:
1. It is not that it is a new program, unknown and untried on this notebook before. Nor that it is a new or untried (updated) version of this program.
2. It is not that it is a new recorder, unknown and untried with this version of DVE or this notebook.
3. It is not that it is a new computer, unknown and untried with this DVE program or recorder.
4. It is not that it is a compatibility issue with this version of DVE and Windows7, because everything had been working fine until 3 days ago. It is only that the program has suddenly stopped working.

Thinking then that this problem might possibly have been caused by an update/patch to Windows 7 (causing some sort of malfunction/incompatibility) (since the error message says “…Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available”), I went to system restore and rolled back Windows 3 weeks to December 2, pre the last 2 times before that I had used the program successfully.
Immediately, before installing updates, I tried to open DVE again. Same result and same pop up message.

So, it apparently is not a problem with Windows updates/incompatibility. Next step: uninstall and reinstall program from Sony site. Selected the correct version of Windows (7, x64) for the DVE, and downloaded. Installed and restarted machine. Started up DVE: same result.

Have since reinstalled DVE 2 more times, and tried again: same result each time. I have also tried to open the program with the physical Sony voice recorder first usb’d into the notebook, and also without the Sony recorder usb’d into the notebook (that is to say, just opening the program on its own, not trying to read from the Sony recorder through the usb). Same result each time. And numerous times, I have done all of this.

Anyone have any clue, without batting/bouncing me back and forth between support departments of Sony and Windows, and worse, HP? All help would be appreciated. My work/livelihood, is tied in to this recorder/application/notebook, that is to say, it is not for play, but actually a serious problem.

Thank you.

Just a thought as well: the problem can’t be with the Sony DVE program right? Because if it was, a simple reinstallation would have taken care of it. So the problem either does lie in Windows or in some link between Windows and the Sony program, right? But what would cause the program to suddenly stop working, and how do I get it up and going again?

If you feel like reading further, I also came across another problem on the HP in the last couple of days. Related? Or coincidental? Not really sure, but don’t use the webcam as often as this Sony DVE program, so it could be that the webcam died out a couple of months ago, and I didn’t notice it until now…. You can read about this problem - I started another thread on htp called “webcam suddenly not detected on hp windows7”.

Posted 1 year ago

sorry, typing in the dark. meant to say "started another thread on htg", not htp...

i thought i had linked the photos i took of the error messages as well as the device manager in the original post, but do not see the link anywhere. anyway, here it is again, if that is helpful....

Posted 1 year ago

hmmmm.... still not showing up???

https://picasaweb.google.com/113885333002207260610/December25201203?authkey=Gv1sRgCPCk46ulhs21MQ

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.filehippo.com/downl.....i_malware/ Try running the free version of this. Top right hand side.

Posted 1 year ago

thanks warlock. are you referring to the malwarebytes? am already running malwarebytes on the computer since i bought it. and update and scan regularly too. or do you happen to be talking about the update checker? i am updated on all relevant programs. the update checker only brings up beta programs that i do not really want to install.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Just a thought many here don't take precautions.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.