SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Preventing critical errors and warnings in the event viewer log.

(2 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by thedaytheearthstoodstill
  • Latest reply from nvy
  • Topic Viewed 2310 times

thedaytheearthstoodstill
thedaytheearthstoodstill

After reading extensive articles and the problematic errors that result during sleep transitions in windows 7 in the event viewer log, I decided to take a closer look at how the power plan for the recommended power settings plan was set up. Here is how I was able to prevent the critical error that shows up every time I manually put the computer to sleep (not hybrid sleep - which is the fix). The errors also show up if you have the computer set to automatically enter sleep mode after so many minutes or hours. This works if the settings are set up to automatically put the computer into hibernation during periods of inactivity. You cannot put the computer into hibernation manually, because it is not a choice in the shutdown menu options by striking ALT F4 key combination via Recommended Power Plan Settings. Also, in the power plans advanced settings menu, I do not have wake timers enabled - for I do not know if wake timer events will cause critical errors to start showing up in the event viewer log again, plus, I don't want my computer doing something it isn't suppose to be doing when I'm not sitting at it, other than my anti-virus automatically updating!
In the power plans settings, go to advanced power plan settings and enable allow hybrid sleep, not sleep after. Sleep after is set to never. Hibernate is set to never, (however, you have to enter a choice for this to all work) but can be set to users choice and I found that about 5 minutes of inactivity was sufficient enough reason to have the computer enter hibernation which in turn safely allows it to enter sleep mode (even with sleep set to never); but, you have to push the power button to turn the computer back on - which actually is just in a low power state. Hibernation is also the key in the event of power failure because whatever you are doing is automatically and temporarily stored to hard disk! The idea is to get windows to resume through hibernation, not sleep. Resuming from sleep when hybrid sleep is not enabled causes critical errors to develop in the event viewer log. Through hybrid sleep, the computer safely enters sleep mode and can resume windows without critical memory corrupts and the beginning computer monitor reads exactly this ""Resuming Windows." Keep in mind, the computer looks like it is completely turned off, with no power button light visible; but, in reality, it is in a low power state by trickery and you must push the power button to resume windows which is pulled from memory during its' recovery to full power transition.
I cannot count how many times, I have had critical errors and warning errors in the log, because the computer mistakenly thought it was a restart from sleep mode without a proper shutdown; which, you don't need a shutdown unless something really critical happened!
Sometimes it was a HAL error or a kernel error that was showing up because, like I stated, the computer assumed there was a restart without a proper shutdown. A reboot if you will!!!
It is hard to believe, in all the articles that I read, the author just couldn't simply state how to resolve the problem without going into a 300 page report on why it occurs. Instead, the authors seem to think we are more interested in how they occur, vs. how to prevent the errors from occurring in the administrative logs in the event viewer.
To date, with my computer entering sleep mode the way it should, because as far as I know, Microsoft did not have a workaround for it yet, I have not had one critical error show up in the log yet for the past seven days. They use to show up in the last hour column and last 24 hour column regularly until I discovered the workaround that took countless hours of reading to develop a sense of an algorithm that would systematically work every time.
Hope this works for many who don't want to read a 300 page article just to figure out how to stop critical errors that degrade your systems integrity and also hope that because this isn't a question, that it can answer many questions.
I wouldn't have taken the time to type this up if it didn't work in windows 7!

Posted 3 years ago

nvy

what errors are you referring to?

HAL 12 errors? VSS errors? Corrupted memory /sleep transition errors?

Your post is too sweeping and genral to be credible

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!