How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Power Problem - HP Pavilion Slimline

(2 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Julie
  • Latest reply from Budohorseman
  • Topic Viewed 7302 times

Julie

Hi,

I have an HP Pavilion Slimline (about 14 months old). I have great difficulty getting the machine to start. I hit the on button which turns blue. So, power is running to the machine (as indicated by the blue light). However, the machine does not start up. The orange light indicating that the processer is running fails to come on. I then turn it off by holding the blue button down for a long time. Then try it again. It takes several times of doing this for it to start.

I have done the following: Motherboard Test, System Test, System Stress Test, Storage-Harddrive Short Test. They have all come out normal.

I reformatted the drive and continue to have the same problem.

At this point, I am worried that it eventually will not start. So, I am considering buying a new pc, but I thought I would give this forum a try before I spend the money.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Julie

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

First thing I would check would be to remove the side of the pc and then look inside after you push the power button. If the fan on the cpu does not start up, odds are your pc will just automatically shut itself down. If there is a lot of dust inside, especially on the heatsink and fan that are on your cpu, then odds are its just not getting cool enough. Pick up a can of compressed air at any electronics store and give the insides a good dusting. If you are still having problems then you start following the wires from the power supply to the various locations and make sure the connections are secure.

If you still have problems, a new power supply will set you back about $75 +/- 25.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.