How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Power / Battery issues G70 Laptop

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by dmbyrne
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 340 times

dmbyrne

Good morning.

We have a HP G70 laptop - which was fine until it fell from the sofa last week.
Laptop details

It's starts up and runs 100% with the battery removed and with it connected to the mains, however;

Once we install the battery the laptop begins to boot as the fans and hhd begin to spin, but straight
after the laptop just hangs on a black screen with a static white cursor in the top left hand corner, no post screen or other boot screen appears.

The above also happens when I plug the power cord with battery inserted...

I have looked at the pins in the battery compartment and they seem fine, should I search and get a replacement battery or could it be more sinister with damage to the mother board?

Thanks for your time,
Dan.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

dmbyrne hi. Firstly beware, If the battery pack has broken a connection internally, you could be sitting on a fire bomb.
Any chance you could borrow a battery, or get that one tested ?

Posted 1 year ago

dmbyrne

Thanks for your prompt reply Lighthouse.

None of those options are open for me, local Computer shop will not test battery in case it damages their equipment (understandable). And don't have any friends or family running HP / Compaq laptops.

I guess I should check out ebay for a very cheap used battery to confirm either way on motherboard or battery fault.

Thanks again.
Dan.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

It's more of an electronics guy you would need to test it (who is experienced in Li-ion batteries) as the pack will have to be opened up, and checked internally.

Posted 1 year ago

dmbyrne

Just an update, I have ordered a used battery from ebay for £12, it should arrive by Saturday.

I will come back with news either way..

Thanks for your advice Lighthouse.
Dan.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Thanks for the feedback.

Posted 1 year ago

dmbyrne

Lighthouse,

Sorry for the delay with this update, I received the replacement battery yesterday and have only just got round to installing it.

The news is very good indeed - Laptop now boots correctly with battery inserted and with cable either attached or non attached.

Thanks again for your advice and help - case Solved

Dan.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Great news :)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!