The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Portable Hard Drive

(17 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by boman
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 650 times

boman

I have been using XP for many yrs. now and it is beginning to slow down, of course. Just wondering, if I buy a portable hard drive I would like to transfer files, pictures, etc. to the portable hard drive. I guess it should speed the old PC up but am wondering about drivers, etc. Can I transfer the whole system (if that's at all possible) to the portable HD. Thanks in advance for any info provided.

BoB

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Best thing would be to transfer all of your personal stuff to an external drive, and then re-install XP. Then copy it back.

Posted 2 years ago

tech27

I just wan to insert this one, @lighthouse, what external HDD can you recommend that is good and durable? with usb 3.0 with a good price also like 500GB or 1TB capacity.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

tech27 new topic please.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

@boman, your PC will not get any faster by dumping some user files on an external harddrive. Do what Lighthouse suggested. That will triple the speed of your system - I have just done that for a friend and the result was amazing.

Once you are done with the new installation and all the XP updates and programs are installed, I recommend you take an image of the system to your new external disk. Then you need not go thru the whole installation process again when the time comes to clean-up.

If you need guidance regarding imaging, post back. We'll help.

Posted 2 years ago

boman

@whs, thank you for your help in this matter. Pls bear in mind that I am an old wanna-be geek in this technological universe and would be venturing out alone on this project, not really familiar with even the basics of transferring files to an external hard drive or worse, taking an image of the system. I do admit, however, that I fear nothing in an attempt to learn. If that helps, I sure would appreciate any guidance you would be kind enough to offer

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

How much data do you need to save, and what size of external drive are you thinking of ?

Posted 2 years ago

boman

I have a Dell Desktop PC, 750 HD with very little free space. I share the PC with my wife who has Facebook and Yahoo Messenger installed...yikes! Photos are not a problem (use Picasa for online storage)Docs are not over the top, normal I guess. Not many spreadsheets or graphics to make matters worse.
I saw a Western Digital 1 TB for $89...is that overkill for what I just described?
Thanks a lot for your quick response

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Nowhere near overkill. If you can afford a WD Elements at 2TB, I would recommend it.

Posted 2 years ago

boman

I can do that. Do I need a cable for transfer or does that come with the Drive?
Do I transfer the entire system to the Drive?

Sorry to be a pain!

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Not a pain at all :) Cable comes with drive. For total security I propose 2 ways of doing it. That way you should be totally safe.

Posted 2 years ago

boman

Cable hooks up to PC and Drive, data is transferred to drive, everything?

Once transferred your personal data is now on the Drive...how do you get XP back on PC?

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

We will tell you how to do it all. First you need the external drive.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Here is some reading matter in the meantime,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....p-utility/
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=44

Posted 2 years ago

boman

i will certainly buy the 2 TB and when I have it I will post...and I thank you for your time and assistance!

Bob (the old wanna-be Geek!)

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

No probs at all Bob. Take it easy :)

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

I hope y'all mentioned that he will need to re-install any and all programs other than the Operating system and know what the keys are. I recommend he take a Belarc Advisor list which will tell him what programs are installed and what the keys are if any. Then he can check the list to see if he has the appropriate disks for the re-install of the programs he requires. Saving and restoring the data is not much good if you do not have the programs that use it.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.