Portable Devices..ipods, mp3s?

(20 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by techgranny
  • Latest reply from techgranny
  • Topic Viewed 3080 times

techgranny
techgranny

Hi everyone!

I want to start downloading books but have no clue which device to buy. I've researched ipods and mp3s to the point of confusion. Which portable device do you think is best suited to downloading books? All opinions are greatly appreciated:)

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

The Kindle is all the rage,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindle
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-A.....B000FI73MA

but it will set you back $360, gulp.

Posted 5 years ago

Dcw329

what do you want... to read the book pages yourself on the screen, or have it read to you?

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

Wow, this is how little I understand:)

Dcw, I want to listen to books the same way people listen to music on those little portable devices with the earphone thing. I just don't which one is most compatible with books. I know they're pricey which is why I need to start dropping Christmas present hints now!:)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Techgranny, along with shopping for a player, you should also be aware of the places to buy books in audio form. Audible and iTunes probably have the largest collections of audio books.
http://www.apple.com/itunes/wh.....books.html
http://www.audible.com/adbl/si.....Cookie=Yes

Try searching on books and authors you know and like or have heard good things about. Then you can determine if they have the kind of material you are interested in. You can also see what the prices are like.

Posted 5 years ago

Dcw329

well... i think any of your more common mp3 players will work fine... (ipod, zune, samsung...) if you only want it for books, i would just find a really cheep one at bestbuy or something... it really depends on what you want, and how much your willing to spend... you might want somthing with a screen so you can easily find the chapter your on... you might want alot of memory depending on how many books you want... i would think it would be nice to have its own program, and not just drag and drop from Windows Media Player...

overall... i would recommend zune... but it really depends on what you want...

and that kindle thing looks cool scott... if all you want is to read, then i would recommend that kindle thing... im sure its got a read-out program built in so it will read your books to you... i would look into if i were you... it seems cool...

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

:)you guys are the best! I've already learned more than in any of my independent research.

ScottW, I'm a nonfiction kinda gal. How-to's and historical's. For fun I like authors who were politicians/pundits, mainly opinionated:) Audible.com looks promising, but Amazon has all of the books I'd like to hear. Which device do they support if they even support audio books?

Dcw, I think I need mega memory, and the screen that will find the chapter I'm on would be icing on the cake! I'm not a big fan of WMP and I always look for something with a separate program. Functionality is more important to me than price. Any suggestions?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Amazon has an audio book store, too.
http://www.amazon.com/Audioboo.....Audiobooks

Posted 5 years ago

Dcw329

then you need a ipod or zune... i would recommend zune... get one of the old zunes... you dont need the new one, and just get it with 8 gig... it should be reletivlely cheap... i recommend zune because you have wireless sync... that means you can set your zune in your kitchen, and have your computer in your bedroom, and it could still be adding your books...(i kinda like that function) and it does it automaticly if you charge it...

if you decide to buy one, come back and ill help you... but from what ive heard you need ipod or zune... personal prefferace from me sais zune... but check both out... if you were a teenager that wants all the cool docking stations and car hook-ups, i would say ipod... but if this is for audio books, and you wont be tainted by the cool games, podcasts, acceseries, and vids you will find... zune is more proffesional...

either will work for you... you dont have to worry about compatiblity... and you dont need 120 gigs worth of room...(theres no way in he11 you will cover that) so just get a old small ipod or zune, and it should be perfact...

give me a sec and i will top both of the scott's, and, find my own links
pff...

Posted 5 years ago

Dcw329

here are some of the newer zune...

Zune home page

apple home page, i would recommend the classic ipod if you were to get a ipod...

(see... i can do links too!)

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

Dcw, you've given me a lot to chew on! It might take me a while to sort it out and my Sundays are for God, country and family:) I'll be sure to get back to you about Zune. Thanks a million!

Posted 5 years ago

Dcw329

heres the link for audio books in zune

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/.....=200127500

Posted 5 years ago

Ricki
Ricki

Do you mind if I make a suggestion...? Being "techgranny" indicates to me that you're of the female persuasion, as I am. MY recommendation to you is to go down the street to a store that sells these mp3 players and test them out. Talk to the store guys and feel the products, check out how big the screens are and how heavy they feel and what colour they are. Check out earphones and headphones and try some on.

All the blokes are interested in is the specifications and whatnot... but from one lady to another, you need to get out there and test them!!!

All the best,

Ricki

Posted 5 years ago

Dcw329

o ya... thanks for reminding me ricki....

as far as testing out the mp3's go... well, they will only let you test so much... but still go down to bestbuy and check out the rack they have of mp3's... you can get a better idea of what to get... but be cautious of talking to bestbuy employes... i would swear they have a quota... (they keep bothering me... -.-) when they ask "do you need any help?" tell them "no" for the first 10 min or so while you look... they can get kinda pushy and wont go away once they get started...

when you've had your fill of observations, call one over... they will help you out...

and for headphones and ear-pieces... go for the cheaps pair you can find... it doesnt matter how expensive the head phones, they all break at the same rate... and they sound about the same...

ive had a pair of 98 cent headphones for 3 years... but my brother and mother have gone threw 6 or 7 each that costed $20... (this is for the ear buds)

if you want the head phones that cover you entire ear, go with "bose" or "skull candy"... bose is byfar the best, but they cost alot... skull is popular and cheap, but they work pretty good.

if you have any questions, i would be glad to help... just post them here and ill get back to you...

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

:)Ok, I've had some time to dig deeper into your suggestions. Audible is absolutely perfect and compatible with all the contraptions! Great find ScottW:)

Dcw, I like what you've said about zune. I always prefer professional to flashy. I am curious as to why you prefer zune to all the others? I know I won't be going ipod. I had a program that required some apple software. I'm not saying it wasn't compatible with microsoft, just not exactly seamless. (not looking for self-induced headaches:) Also, I consider myself a headphone expert; I have six pairs, all specific use. Go! Bose 301 noise reduction!

Ricki, It's really great to meet you! Girlpower is in short supply around here:) I never thought about testing them at the store. Only thing, all the devices are geared to music and videos so it won't be much help other than weight and size. Also, I don't live in a capital city like you. Here in P'cola, customer service is an urban legend. We could pass out on the floor of a best buy and the high school kids who work there would walk over us:)
P.S. The blokes here are the best around! Without their specs, we'd be all product and no performance:)

Posted 5 years ago

Dcw329

zune is 2nd to ipod... and i fore-see zune to become great... in the past year they have been out, they have growen much in the community, and they will only get bigger... i think they will keep growing untill they match (or pass) ipod... and i like zune because you can always upgrade your software, and you dont need to buy a new zune evey 3 months... i've had the first zune they ever made since it came out, and it still works great, and they have added new things to it... it works just like the newest ones...

and zune is really simple to use... everything is in big letters on the screen like "MUSIC, VIDEO, PICTURES, RADIO, PODCAST...) and no fancy names to get confused with... it fits really well in the hands so it doesnt feel like your fumbling with it... the software on your computer is simple for the most part...

i find the ipod to be too fragile, and more for the teenagers... (you can still walk down the street with your zune and not feel like one of those old guys trying to live in the past)

either way, both ipod and zune will work for you... if all you want is for it to work with audio books, then either will work for you... but you really looking at only one of the two... nothing eles comes with its own store of audio books... pick what you want ofcoarse... but i recommend zune...

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

Ok, I think I've got a really good handle on everything now:) Thank you all so much!

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/t.....ee-ebooks/

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

and these:)

http://librivox.org/
http://www.audiobooksforfree.com/home

Then there's Dublit.com, but it's somewhat illusive, and a free poetry site if anyone is interested:)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!