The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Port scan tools

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Smashpmk712
  • Latest reply from Smashpmk712
  • Topic Viewed 1751 times

Smashpmk712

One of the partners hear heard that we should do a port scan to see if we have tight security .... guess who gets to do it? me! do any of you know any good spy ware free tools for this? I would search Google but I don't want to risk my computer getting infected from going to a bad website looking for this kind of thing ...thanks in advance!

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

look up back track and use a live cd it has every thing you will need

cain and able is also a good one

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712

Thanks, I will give it a go ...

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712

Anyone else know of any?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

If you want to scan your external IP address you can try Shields UP!.
It's a web based application that scans your external IP address.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

I would also recommend Shields Up! from grc.com because it scans ports from out on the Internet, just like a hacker would. However, keep in mind that Shields Up! is testing the first set of ports that it can see from the external Internet. Depending on your setup, this might be a corporate firewall, a proxy server, or what have you.

To really do a thorough job, and impress the boss(es), you should also do a port scan from inside on the Intranet. This will check the strength of software firewalls on individual systems to see if malware can spread like wildfire once it gets on one system or if it will be contained. This will also test gateways to see if malware can jump subnets.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a tool to do this second part, but I bet someone else will chime in.

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712

Thanks for the responses, I have done the scans at Shields Up! and we are sealed up tight as a drum. gotta love sonicwall ...

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.