The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

pop vs imap

(3 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jonzski
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 777 times

jonzski

I have always used pop3 for my email sending and receiving. I am interested in using imap. I was just curious what different people who had used both protocols though of them, and which one they preferred. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

I've just recently switched to using IMAP fulltime instead of POP... the biggest problem with IMAP is that if your IMAP server is slow... your email experience is kinda slow. Gmail's IMAP servers are no exception.

The benefit, of course, is that you can manage which emails have been read from multiple locations and devices. If you don't need or care about that... then it's not really worth it.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

If your IMAP servers start to slow down, you can go offline and read and write mail until the servers come back. You can also take e-mail with you on a laptop away from an Internet connection. If the IMAP servers are slow all the time, you won't like it. I have multiple e-mail addresses and I use POP on some and IMAP on others. Each has benefits and drawbacks that depend on the situation.

If you want to dip your toe in the water, get a different free e-mail account, such as with Gmail, and try IMAP.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.