Pop-up Rundll32.exe Error at Start Up

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by meraki
  • Latest reply from G41M
  • Topic Viewed 4081 times

meraki
meraki

Hello there!

Recently, I purchased a new computer and installed my favourite programs upon it. However, I am now experiencing a Rundll32.exe error in the form of a pop-up whenever I log into my Windows 7 user account. I have read the How-To Geek article on Rundll32.exe, and am somewhat informed on what it may be, but I would still appreciate it if one of you could point me in the right direction on how to repair this error.

The Rundll32.exe at question is being run from "C:\ProgramData\adob". I have the Adobe CS5 collection installed but I am unsure if this is related.

The error I am given is as follows:

"Rundll32.exe - System Error

"The program cannot start because OpenCL.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Try uninstalling the Adobe program. Reboot and see if the problem goes away.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Do you have OPENCL.DLL on your computer (DIR OPENCL.DLL /S from a command prompt at C:)?

Usually installed as part of your DISPLAY DRIVER...

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

meraki
meraki

Thank you Warlock and Ispalten for the speedy answers.

Removing the Adobe CS5 Suite has not affected the error in any way. Inserting the command "dir opencl.dll /s" at C:\ gives the following response:

"Volume in drive C has no label.
"Volume serial number is xxxx-xxxx"

(Obviously, I have removed the serial number from my response.)

If it helps, I am using Intel(R) HD Graphics and the program installed by the distributors of the laptop I own tells me that my drivers are up to date.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.ehow.com/how_518542.....error.html Give this a try then post back. Is this a brand new computer or just new to you?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Serial number is meaningless... doesn't matter. Was the file on your computer? That is what is important?

It is on mine :

=====================
c:\>dir opencl.dll /s
Volume in drive C is OS
Volume Serial Number is 1C5C-DD5E

Directory of c:\Windows\System32

02/14/12 10:03 PM 54,272 OpenCL.dll
1 File(s) 54,272 bytes

Directory of c:\Windows\SysWOW64

02/14/12 10:03 PM 48,128 OpenCL.dll
1 File(s) 48,128 bytes

Total Files Listed:
2 File(s) 102,400 bytes
0 Dir(s) 53,137,002,496 bytes free
========================

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

meraki
meraki

Thank you for the continued help. I know I am not the best at troubleshooting.

Ispalten, I am assuming that the file was not found because it said nothing about finding the file, only about the serial number. I did not receive any messages from command prompt after my serial number was listed. Attempting it again, I received the following:

"c:\>dir opencl.dll /s
"Volume in drive C has no label.
"Volume Serial Number is xxxx-xxxx
"File Not Found"

Warlock, I have attempted the fix in the wiki article you have linked to, and my computer gave this error on start up when I had it set to "load startup items". I am unsure if it is related or not.

"Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library

"Debug Assertion Failed!

"Program: ...
"File: .\controlhandler.cpp
"Line: 102

"For information on how your program can cause an assertion failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts.

"(Press Retry to debug the application)"

However, loading without the startup items seems to stop the error. However, I get no notifications about how the error could be fixed, or any notifications at all, for that matter.

The computer was purchased second hand from a friend. After purchasing, I restored it to factory settings, so I don't think that it could be anything that she had installed. It is a Lenovo Ideapad purchased several years ago if that helps any.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

If it were me I would do a clean install. That's why I asked if it was indeed a new computer. If it was it should go back to where you bought it. Ispalten, may be able to help you longer. Work for me in the morning so, can't stay on. Good luck but don't give up.

Posted 1 year ago

meraki
meraki

Here is a tentative idea - if I deleted the directory in which this rundll32.dll is located (since it isn't the system32 folder), would that not make the error go away? And, if it is connected to a program that I have installed, it would stop working, and so I would know to reinstall it?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Well, if you don't HAVE the file, how can it be loaded? That is the ROOT of the problem here.

RUNDLL32.EXE should NOT be anywhere but in its legal directories. The EXE does POINT to the file it will load, not where it is installed.

LOOK where it is on my W7 x64 system (and stop removing the serial number, these are meaningless to anyone, don't worry) :

===================
c:\>dir rundll32.exe /s
Volume in drive C is OS
Volume Serial Number is 1C5C-DD5E

Directory of c:\Windows\System32

07/13/09 09:39 PM 45,568 rundll32.exe
1 File(s) 45,568 bytes

Directory of c:\Windows\SysWOW64

07/13/09 09:14 PM 44,544 rundll32.exe
1 File(s) 44,544 bytes

Directory of c:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-rundll32_31bf3856ad364e3
5_6.1.7600.16385_none_33fa4336c49b998b

07/13/09 09:39 PM 45,568 rundll32.exe
1 File(s) 45,568 bytes

Directory of c:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-rundll32_31bf3856ad364e35_
6.1.7600.16385_none_d7dba7b30c3e2855

07/13/09 09:14 PM 44,544 rundll32.exe
1 File(s) 44,544 bytes

Total Files Listed:
4 File(s) 180,224 bytes
0 Dir(s) 53,143,248,896 bytes free

c:\>
===========================

If it is ANYWHERE ELSE, you are INFECTED... get that cleaned up... but it will NOT solve your problem.

Was the restore to W7 or Vista, several years ago (almost 3) would have been Vista I think?

As I said, you are missing the file. Why? Unknown? Usually laid down with a video driver I think? If you restored it and then you probably have an x year old video driver. Update it to the latest from the card vendor's site might help. I guess you could also get the file from HERE and probably put it in C:\Windows\System32 folder and see what happens?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

meraki, try this http://www.ehow.com/how_579328.....ng-up.html

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

meraki, you could also try to run msconfig (Start > type msconfig on Search programs and files) and on the Startup tab, uncheck any startup program that reference to Rundll32.exe and restart your computer

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!