The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Plugging to monitor problem

(3 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Dudeman6788
  • Latest reply from Dudeman6788
  • Topic Viewed 1171 times

Dudeman6788

Hi, I just put together my first build by myself and I am used to the motherboard supplying a VGA cable for monitors. I was surprised that my mother board (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128327) did not have such a port. The only thing that makes sense is to get some kind of adapter for the Serial/COM port but that doesn't really make sense to me. Please advise me to how I'm supposed to plug a monitor to my computer. Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

That is because that motherboard doesn't have an integrated graphics card and the video card is where you plug the monitor into.
You need to buy a PCI Express graphics card to install into a motherboard PCI Express slot.
This is usually a good thing as you can get better performance from a PCI Express graphics card then an integrated graphics card. Which helps if you play games, play HD video, etc.
The main two graphics card manufactors are ATI and NVIDIA.
You can look online and find out the best card for what you want to you the computer for.
I would recommend getting a graphics card made by NVIDIA as in my experanice they have the best driver support.

Posted 5 years ago

Dudeman6788

OK, thanks alot. I was not aware that the graphics cards actually had the port for monitor on it. I'll look around for a decent graphics card. Thanks again!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!