The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

pls help me : no bootable device insert the bood cd and press any key

(21 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by fabiovlore
  • Latest reply from G41M
  • Topic Viewed 893 times

fabiovlore

I have an Acer laptop with windows 7. yesterday when i was working my computer blocked and i couldn't press anything so i shutdown it by force by long pressing the turning off button. when i turned on again it comes with a message "no bootable device insert boot disk and press any key". so i read in the internet it was a MBR damage and do this steps:
1.i inserted the original disc of windows 7 and i choose "repair your compuer"
2.In the system recovery options i choose "use revery tools that can help fix problems starting..." and the problem is that i can't chose the operating system when i open "load drivers" i have a "boot(x:)" (33.6 mb total) and below this in "devices with removable storage" i have a "remoble disk(C:)" (that is empty) and "CD Drive(D:)"(that is the windows 7 CD). I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO SELECT MY OPERATING SYSTEM
3. If this above were done i would go to command prompt and type"boorec /fixmbr"<------ THIS IS WHAT I READ IN THE INTERNET
Now is somebody who can tell me what to do to fix my computer.
HELP ME PLEASE . IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR ME TO GET BACK MY FILES IN THE LOCAL DISK (C:)

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

Hello , Is there any external device attached when you are try to boot? Hard Disk , Flash memory???

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

There are 3 possible causes:

1. As you say, the MBR could be damaged
2. The bootmgr could be damaged
3. The system partition could have deactivated

It is probably easiest to reinstall the system after you recovered your files - although it may be possible to fix the problem, but that could be quite complex.

To recover your files, use a linux live cd like e.g. this one: http://www.sevenforums.com/sof.....puter.html

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

As scorpion99 says, check that there are no external devices attached (I sometimes forget this). But it seems to me that your real C:\ partition is not mounted, and because of that, it's letter might be assigned to another device.

You can try to backup your files using an Ubuntu Live CD. Instructions here (screenshots are a bit dated): http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-computer/

You can download the ISO image of Ubuntu Live CD from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop . Select 12.04 (64-bit version), and then on the next page go to the bottom and select "Not now, take me to the download". If you have any questions or trouble with this just ask.

To fix your problem you could try to follow these instructions to access a Command Prompt: http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....ost-318915

I suspect you won't be able to backup your files as it is shown there. But from that Command Prompt, try using these commands:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Posted 1 year ago

fabiovlore

null
i follow these steps but when i open "users" in boot(X:) all the folder are empty. i'm afraid of losing my files. in this case what are the opportunities to recover my files?

Posted 1 year ago

fabiovlore

i follow this : http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....ost-318915

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

The Boot (X:) partition is a temporary, virtual partition to host the Windows installation system. Try to recover your files with the Ubuntu Live CD, or to repair your system with the commands I posted previously.

Posted 1 year ago

fabiovlore

what version should i download unbuntu 12.10 or Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and i have a 32-bit comp

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Use 12.04 LTS 32-bit then. Although 64-bit should work too.

Posted 1 year ago

fabiovlore

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

When i do these it shows me "The device is not ready."

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

You could try EaseUS Partition Manager Software. It has a free bootable version.
Download > burn to Cd > check and verify your O/S drive or partition has a drive letter assigned.
It has a copy option that allows you to copy all your data to an external storage device.
It also has an option to repair your MBR if needed.

Posted 1 year ago

fabiovlore

is there any possibility to recover data from a dead hard drive?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Depends on the reason why it died.

Posted 1 year ago

fabiovlore

it made a noisy sound while i was working and verything stoped working.o i turned off the laptop by force because i couldnt press any tab .when i went to start up it said "no bootable device ...". i tried all the things people posted to me in this forum but the hdd dont result anywhere.now i'm using the unbuntu live cd ,i've booted from it,it gives me access to the net .pls hel me

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

What sort of noisy sound ?

Posted 1 year ago

fabiovlore

like a screeching sound

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Look at the last post of this thread and try to follow those steps, but from what you say I suspect you can do nothing with this drive. You will need to buy a new hard drive and replace the old one. If you need help with this ask us.

Posted 1 year ago

fabiovlore

what about my files (i have one word document that is very important to me) is there any way to recover them?

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

The hdd might be failing or have already failed. Is the hdd still detected in bios?

Posted 1 year ago

fabiovlore

how to understand if it is detected in bios or not

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.