The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Please solve this compatibility issue

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by anibhat
  • Latest reply from anibhat
  • Topic Viewed 893 times

anibhat

i'm using Windows XP service pack2 (genuine).When I try to set compatibility mode of any app/game,find out
(this image got from internet)
these available compatibility modes. How I will get Wndows XP SP 2 mode?

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Note that it says if you have problems with this program AND it worked correctly on an earlier version of windows, select the compatibility mode that matches the earlier version. You Have XP so you can only run compatibility mode for previous versions of Windows.

Posted 1 year ago

anibhat

thanks for reply,on another computer i have windows 7 ultimate,When I try to set compatibility mode of any app/game,find out

But when i try to run any app/game on Windows Xp Sp2 mode,it shows a error message,that windows xp sp 2 is not installed or can not find,why and how to solve it?

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

You could try installing Windows XP SP3, you should have this installed anyway. Download from here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389#method21

Posted 1 year ago

anibhat

thank you guys ,now downloading,let's see.

Posted 1 year ago

anibhat

sorry guys method is not working

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

What method? Try using Compatibility Wizard in Windows 7. Right click the. exe file you want to install/run and choose "Troubleshoot compatibility" and let Windows manage the program compatibility issue.

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

Compatibility mode will only show you the previous OS , which means if you are using Windows XP SP2 , you can see the previous OS like Win95 , 98 , 2000
In case you are using Windows 7 , you can see OS like 95 , 98 , 2000, XP SP2 ,XP SP3 ,Vista

As you say you have XP SP2 and you want to run it as XP SP2 , then you don't need to run compatibility mode.
In worst case , if you are not able to run these games , you can simple install a virtual machine having Windows 98 as OS and install them on it.

Posted 1 year ago

anibhat

I used Compatibility Wizard in Windows 7. Right click the. exe file wants to run and choose "Troubleshoot compatibility" too. It replys to run in windows xp sp2 mode,and then i followed it- and error box showing

unable tofind some essential data.
So not being able to run xp sp 2 mod.
I did format only c drive when i upgraded my machine from vista to 7 ultimate,should i format all the drives and install it again?

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Were these installed programs in Vista? From your last post I take it they were not on C:. If they were installed programs in Vista you must first reinstall them in windows 7 because when you did a clean install you lost all your previously installed software including those you installed to another drive.. You are not quite clear if you are running the .exe of a previously installed software or attempting to install now.

Posted 1 year ago

anibhat

it was on E drive,but after your suggestion I reinstalled it in C drive now,but same thing happens. Whenever trying to run xp sp 2(Troubleshoot Compatibility advises)-ERROR-unable to find some essential data.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Better wait for someone with experience in this area. I have never had to run a program in compatibility mode. Sorry that did not help, the way I read your posts it seemed you had that installed on the other drive in Vista and then did a clean install of 7 without reinstalling it in 7.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

This is getting confusing anibhat, you posted in XP forum and your screenshot shows xp and the backward compatibility to prior XP. (win 95/98)

So this is an old game then?

Now you are trying to this in win 7? What version of win 7 do you have? You may be able to run in XP mode.

http://answers.microsoft.com/e.....70ab64444e

Or, if you have an XP key you could use; https://www.virtualbox.org/

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

anibhat

Sorry for my poor english and confused you guys,my question is this---

I used to play a game on windows xp sp 2,recently I upgraded my machine to windows 7 ultimate.
I did format only c drive when i upgraded my machine.
I used Compatibility Wizard in Windows 7. Right click the. exe file wants to run and choose "Troubleshoot compatibility" too. It replys to run in windows xp sp2 mode,and then i followed it- and an error box comes out showing-
'unable to find some essential data '
So not being able to run xp sp 2 mod.
also tried-95,98,NT4.0,2000,server 2003 sp1 but same result-unable to find some essential data,so cant run the programme.
Programme starts on xp sp3,server 2008sp1,vista,sp1,sp2,windows 7 these compatibility mod,but game crashes becuse Compatibility Wizard shows it is compatible with xp sp 2,please solve.
it was on E drive on earlier windows version but after guys your suggestion I reinstalled it in C drive now,but same thing happens.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!