The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Please help: Installing Ubuntu 8.10

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by haydun
  • Latest reply from fastbullet
  • Topic Viewed 908 times

haydun

Hello. I am sorry if this subject has been discussed, I could not find it anywhere on your forums.

I have all the needed files installed on my usb, then I set my laptop to boot from this usb. I get an error message "Could not find kernel image: Linux". If there is anything else you need to know, which you probably do, please ask.

I am installing this because I am sick of windows (Vista basic was installed on my laptop, but it crashed.) So, instead of dishing out even more money, for this unstable os, I decided to try Linux. Hopefully it is not as poorly made as Windows.

Cheers.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

if you want to use linux you could just burn the iso image to a cd and install onto the laptop that way or if you still can use windows you could install wubi and it will install ubuntu for you and is very easy to use. and for your usb device you will need to setup the boot loader if you haven't already this sounds like it may be the problem if all you did was copy the files to it.

Posted 5 years ago

haydun

Thank you for the help, but, I decided to go with slax. I have gotten much further with it. Though, I am still having problems. When I get to the slax setup screen, it tells me it cannot locate the livecd.sgn.

I'll just keep plugging away.

Posted 5 years ago

fastbullet

Same problem, different distro.

Whichever distro you settle upon, get a copy of the live cd and
(1) run it to prove it will run.
(2) install to your laptop from that disc.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!