The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Please check if this system will work

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by timinycricket
  • Latest reply from Fraggy
  • Topic Viewed 1480 times

timinycricket

Hi. Although I've done a lot of research into this, I'm new to building computers, and any advice on whether these parts should work well together would be greatly appreciated. I'm mostly unsure about the motherboard and if everything can plug into it.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
Asus P5Q Pro
Corsair 4GB 6400 C5DHX (2x2GB)
Asus EN9800GT Ultimate --or-- Asus EN9800GTX+
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB (or something similar)
Antec Twelve Hundred case
Viewsonic 19" VA926 DVI --or-- Samsung 19" 943B

I'll be running XP.

What kind of power supply would be recommended for this system?

I haven't decided yet on the keyboard or optical drives, but I don't suppose those things would really have any compatibility issues, right?

I'm unsure about how computers are put together because I've never done it before, and I have a few questions.
- Do the fans that come with the case all plug into the motherboard?
- If so, where can I find information on how many fans a motherboard can support? (Because the Antec case comes with 7 fans + 1 optional, which seems like quite a lot, and I'm not sure if the motherboard will support that many)
- The Asus 9800GTX+ has a 2 x 6 pin power connector, as opposed to a single 6 pin connector for the 9800GT. Does that mean a single 9800GTX+ takes up two SLI slots?
- I intend to play games with this system; is this motherboard a good choice with that in mind?

Thanks in advance.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

First comment - for gaming and XP your Q6600 is not a good choice. You will be much happier with a fast (e.g. 3.2GHz) duo core processor. After all, the Q6600 has only 2.4GHz cores and you will very rarely use all 4 cores. My Q6600 runs the 4 cores only for video editing, but many times, only 1 core is being used.

Posted 5 years ago

timinycricket

Ok, thanks whs. If I go with a 3.2GHz duo core processor would I need to change anything else, like the motherboard?

I'm intending on running the music software Pro Tools LE, and I initially thought the quad core processor would help speed that up, but I just did some reading and found that it's a single-thread application. So I'm definitely thinking of going with a faster duo core processor. Do you think 4 cores would be advantageous for gaming in the near future, or would 2 cores be safe for a while?

Also, can you see any problems with the compatibility of the parts I've chosen? Thanks for the help!

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Timinycricket, we finally have enough threads in this forum that I can give you a reference. You should read through the following thread where the end config is a system similar to your proposal. There is a lot of good advice in here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....computer-q

Mobo: I don't think you will have problems or limitations with an ASUS P5Q motherboard for gaming or components. However, give us a little time to research it.

CPU: The Q6600 got a reputation as a gamer's CPU, but those gamers were overclocking it. At 3.2 GHz OC, the cores are NOT slow! However, while that reputation lingers, the Q6600 is no longer the best CPU for gamers including those who overclock. Step up to a 45nm Core2 which uses less power and generates less heat. It's still true that a small percentage of games utilize all 4 cores in a quad core chip, but if you must have one there are 45nm quad cores with a higher base clock speed, such as the Q9450 (2.66 GHz) and Q9650 (3.0 GHz). However, these are not as inexpensive! A better value proposition would be an inexpensive 45nm dual core with a high clock speed and low power, such as the E8300 on up to the E8600.

PSU: at least 500W, at least 80% efficiency. 80plus certified a...um, plus!

Case: no, not all of those fans plug into the motherboard. Typically, Antec case fans are 3-speed manual switched fans which can run off of a 5v molex connector. 7 fans is a lot -- probably overkill for your system if you are not overclocking.

Posted 5 years ago

timinycricket

Thanks for the link to the other thread Scott, there was some great advice.

I've pretty much decided that I'll go with an Intel Core 2 Duo, either E8400 or E8500.

I found a PSU that I like the look of: Corsair HX-620.
Corsair HX-620
I know you said 500W would be enough for my system, but say I wanted to add another hard drive in the future, how much room do I have to add parts if the PSU is 620W? This might sound like a stupid question but how do you calculate the amount of watts needed for a particular system?

So when you say the fans run of a 5v molex connector, is that part of the PSU?

Thanks again for the help.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I have never seen a calculator that helps you decide on a minimum PSU, but maybe they are out there. I'm just going by what others have said, what I consider to be conventional wisdom. A PSU of at least 500W with an 80+ rating or certification will be enough for all but the most power hungry systems. Your 620W with the 80+ cert. gives you plenty of headroom for upgrades. The biggest power draws in a system are the CPU and GPU. HDD power consumption is small, by comparison.

The molex connector is a very common output from the PSU:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex

Posted 5 years ago

Fraggy
Fraggy

Spec'ing and building your first system is fun.

I would recommend a 600-750W "Silent" PSU from a supplier such as ThermalTake or Cooler Master, the silent models make quite a difference to room noise, the Corsair model has LED's, do you want that red glow at the back of your case? If your not OC'ing your system then they may not be neccessary.

http://www.overclock3d.net/rev.....ular_psu/1

As for number of fans, two can be enough, depending on how much clutter you have inside your box. If the GPU has an efficient fan, the case won't need a large venting capacity, especially if you run the cooler 45nm CPU as recommended above. Again go for "quiet" case fans if you can.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!